Oakland bike group takes the plunge for charity

From left to right, Lynn Woodard, Director Megan Bragdon, Nick Leavitt, Road Captain Dawn Brasil, Treasurer Brad Wing, and Assistant Director Mark Spence. (photo by Sharon Roode)

On March 16 the American Legion Riders of Decker-Simmons Post #51, Oakland, along with other groups from the area gathered at the boat launch in Oakland for the Polar plunge to raise money to help fight food insecurity at the Alfond Youth and Community Center. They raised $1,986 with a grand total over all of $30,000.

Director Lynn Woodard was quoted saying “Motorcyclists sometimes, we don’t get a good reputation. So we’re here for the community. Our group, we’re not like a motorcycle club, we’re just riders, we represent the American Legion. A lot of our activity is just for the veterans, but today it was for the children.”

“That’s what life’s all about, helping everybody else,” added Assistant Director Mark Spence.

The group is taking the plunge to help fight food insecurity at the Alfond Youth and Community Center. (photo by Sharon Roode)

Scouts receive Papa Bear award

From left to right, Karla Talpey and Alan Duplessis, of Jackman, Sherwood Hilt, of Union, and John Wood, of Hope, receiving the Ray “Papa Bear” Kimball Award of Service. (photo by Chuck Mahaleris)

by Chuck Mahaleris

Congratulations to John Wood, Alan Duplessis, Sherwood Hilt, and Karla Talpey on receiving the Ray “Papa Bear” Kimball Award of Service at the Kennebec Valley District Annual Scouting Recognition Dinner, held on Sunday, March 24, at the Winslow Parks & Recreation Department Hall. Talpey and Duplessis are both active in Jackman Troop #497 and are members of the Kennebec Valley District committee.

Hilt, of Union, and Wood, of Hope, have been active as district members of both Kennebec Valley District and the former Downeast Districts of Scouting. Wood currently provides Commissioner Service to more scouting units than any other volunteer in the district.

The award is the highest award that an adult leader, committee member or adult volunteer can be nominated for within a unit. The award consideration should be given based on outstanding service to youth within a unit above and beyond that of what is required of an adult. Also his or her ability to exemplify the Scout Oath and Law. The award is given to those who work in support of Scouting without seeking anything for themselves.

Ray “Papa Bear” Kimball was a long time Scoutmaster of Troop #443, in Winslow. He was also highly involved in Kennebec Valley District of Scouting as a district volunteer and a Unit Commissioner. He also spent all of his summers performing the duty of Camp Commissioner for Camp Bomazeen, in Belgrade. Ray also had several sons who were Boy Scouts. Ray was an active member of his community and church. Ray always went above and beyond the call of duty wherever it was. Ray stayed active until he became ill and had to retire from scouting. Raymond Kimball died on November 25, 2007.

Anchor ME Farm offers non-clinical goat therapy activities

Snuggling with a couple of the goats. (photo by Jeanne Marquis)

by Jeanne Marquis

A local goat farm, in Windsor, is offering non-clinical therapy activities with their goats for people with PTSD, anxiety, and depression. The farm, called ” Anchor-ME Farm,” owned by Cara and Brian Cribb, is home to goats, ducks, geese and dogs. The goats are all friendly and well-socialized, and they love to interact with people of all ages.

The Anchor-ME farm, located at 584 Ridge Road, Windsor, offers a variety of non-clinical therapy activities, including:

• Goat yoga: Goat yoga will be returning soon. The first class will take place on Thursday, May 9, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Jessica will be teaching and the goats will be cuddly and hysterical as usual. Get your tickets through Eventbrite or email – info@anchormefarm.com.
• Every Sunday Support Group: Starts April 7, and continues every Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
• Goat walks: Participants take a leisurely walk around the farm with the goats. The goats provide companionship and help to reduce stress and anxiety.
• Goat cuddles: Participants can cuddle with the goats in a quiet and relaxing setting. The goats provide comfort and help to promote relaxation.
• Special Events: The next one is PAINT AND PET, Saturday April 27, from 1 – 3 p.m. A chance to paint under a tent in the company of animals featuring the talents of WickedIllustrations Studio & Gallery. Please sign up at WickedIllustrations.com. Cost is $40. $5 of the cost goes to The Anchor ME Farm.

Cara Cribb explains how the farm came to be: “I had an idea about this amazing place that has cuddly animals or just intriguing animals, where people could come to forget their troubles for an hour or two. I was at my breaking point, stuck in Rhode Island, literally nothing except dwelling on my trauma and reliving it every second. Once I convinced my husband that this could be a thing, we started the process of moving again.”

Goats at the Anchor ME Farm, in Windsor. (photo by Jeanne Marquis)

As the couple began its search for a farm, the pandemic struck and Brian Cribb’s job went remote, which opened up the possibility of locating their farm in Maine. Before long, they found a home that has seen at least a century in Windsor and through a journey of sweat-equity, restoration and building formed a home for themselves and a happy herd of goats.

The Cribbs want the public to know they are not therapists, the goats do the therapy. Goats are highly adaptable creatures who are often used in therapy because they are playful, gentle and have the unique ability to recognize human emotions and react as needed. If a person needs a hug, they are there for a quick nudge and a long cuddle. If a child needs to play, goats love to romp and are famous for their zig zag jumps from side to side, which will generate some laughter from most humans. Interactions with animals, especially goats, can positively affect brain chemistry by reducing cortisol levels and increasing dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphins – the brain chemicals that provide humans the feelings of security and well-being.

The need for all types of therapies, even non-clinical goat therapy, has been increasing in the last few years. According to the February 2024 Forbes Mental Health Statistics Report, the number of people with mental health conditions has increased in the United States, with 23.1 percent of adults experiencing one in 2022. The number of anxiety and depressive disorders has also increased since the COVID-19 pandemic, with 28 percent more people experiencing depressive symptoms and 25 percent more experiencing anxiety disorders.

Anchor ME farm also has a licensed bakery on site called the Anchor ME Gluten Free Bakehouse. Everything is made to order from requests on their website. They generally need two days for an order and will confirm when you will pick it up at their farm stand. Ingredients are listed online but If you’re trying to avoid an ingredient, send an email so they can try to accommodate. Some of their diverse offerings include cookies, doughnuts, bagels, pumpkin bread, apple fritters, brioche, focaccia, challah, naan, brownies and crackers.

The Anchor-ME Farm is nonprofit, 501(c)(3), that provides a safe place for people who are dealing with PTSD, depression, anxiety with the help of animals.

Located at 584 Ridge Road, Windsor. For more information, call (207) 445-8192 or check out Anchormefarm.com and view their Facebook often for updates on special events.

Area scout leaders recognized for efforts in reorganizations

From left to right, Sabrina Garfield, Christopher Santiago, and Jamie Santiago receive their James D. Boyce New Unit Organizer Awards at the Kennebec Valley District Scouting Recognition Dinner, held on March 24, at the Winslow Parks and Recreation Hall. (photo by Chuck Mahaleris)

by Chuck Mahaleris

William D. Boyce signed the papers to make the Boy Scouts of America official at exactly 11:03 a.m., on February 8, 1910. On March 24, volunteers from across the area gathered at the Winslow Parks and Recreation Hall to honor three Scouting leaders who helped get two new Scouting programs off the ground to benefit their respective communities. Sabrina Garfield, of Winslow, and Christopher and Jamie Santiago, of Vassalboro, were recognized for restarting Cub Scout Packs #445 and #410, respectively, in 2022 and keeping them active and vibrant. The award they received was named for Chicago publisher William D. Boyce.

William D. Boyce was in London in 1909 when he got lost in the fog. Out of the fog stepped a “little lad of 12” who offered to help him find his way. Boyce tried to give the youngster a tip, but the boy refused, saying he was just doing his Good Turn as a Scout. Boyce was intrigued by the Scout Movement, which had begun in 1907 in England. He returned home from England with pamphlets, badges and a uniform. Six months later, on February 8, 1910, Boyce incorporated the Boy Scouts of America.

The William D. Boyce award is presented to those who help start a new or restart a defunct Cub Scout Pack, Scout Troop, Venture Crew or Sea Scout Ship. In essence, the recipient must lead the entire process of organizing a new unit. The process begins when a prospective chartered organization is assigned and ends when the new unit renews its charter for the first time and receives Journey to Excellence recognition at the Bronze level or above.

“I am so thankful to my Scouting village,” Sabrina Garfield said. “I am grateful for this experience with my kids, not just because of what it teaches them but because it’s so much more than just that. It’s a family affair. Cub Scouting gives the kids a chance to teach things to others and to learn from others. It’s taught them about leadership and teamwork and how to compromise. It’s taught me too. And I have met some pretty amazing people through this journey.”

Christopher Santiago said, “Scouting is a true labor of love for me and as much as I do, I wouldn’t be able to do it without the supportive and engaged parents in my two units representing the Town of Vassalboro and Vassalboro BSA Scouting Troop #410 and Pack #410, as well as the amazing Scouters whom I have come to know as mentors and colleagues. These awards are because of all of them!”

Sophie Wheeler named to the dean’s list at Bates College

Sophie Wheeler, of Skowhegan, was named to the dean’s list at Bates College, in Lewiston, for the fall/winter semester ending in December 2023. This is a distinction earned by students whose grade point average is 3.92 or higher.

Wheeler is majoring in Theater and Rhetoric, Film, Screen Studies, at Bates.

A gathering year for the improbables (April Fool’s story 2024)

by Mary Grow

Few humans understand that a year in which two digits in our current Gregorian calendar add up to a third digit – like 2024, because 2 +2 = 4 — is a Gathering Year for the Improbables.

The last such year was 2013 (2 + 1 = 3). The next will be 2035 (2 + 3 = 5).

No human understands what criteria the Improbables use to choose their gathering place. There have been many theories and surmises over the centuries; none has had predictive value.

It is clear, however, that this year the small town of China, Maine, has been honored.

The earliest sighting, in late January, was of a pair of unicorns just off Maple Ridge Road, near the Winslow town line. The person who saw them did not report the sighting until this week.

“I’d had a couple beers, and I thought I was seeing things, like white horses with branches somehow stuck on their heads,” he confessed. “Couple beers don’t usually bother me. Couple unicorns, now, that’s a different story.”

A strange Yeti-like creature captured by a game camera near China Lake with China Baptist Church in the background.

The first Himalayan Yeti (also called the Abominable Snowman) was photographed by a game camera at a home on the northeast side of China Lake, apparently sampling suet from a bird-feeder. Two nights later, he or she returned with two other adults and a youngster. The homeowners took down the feeders and the camera.

In Thurston Park in February, cameras put up to deter vandals spotted 11 Bigfeet (Sasquatches), probably Canadian, and 11 Yowies from Australia playing a game that seemed to be similar to cricket. A park volunteer who studied the film said the Yowies won by a substantial margin, despite being less accustomed to winter weather in Maine.

A Deer Hill resident swears the animal who loped across Deer Hill Road in front of her car late one night was a werewolf. “I watch lotsa horror movies; I know one of them things when I see it,” she explained.

The werewolf was heading west, she said – “probably going down to the river hopin’ to find runnin’ water so’s he could get a drink.”

As word of unusual appearances began to spread, more people came forward to tell their tales. They include:

The bird-watcher who is convinced he saw a roc over Three Mile Pond – “No, it was definitely not a big eagle. Not even big eagles come that big.”
The Weeks Mills woman who did not dial 911 when a dozen centaurs filed down her driveway. “I’m a part-time 911 dispatcher myself, and I know what I’d be thinkin’ if I got a call like that,” she explained.
The South China resident who watched a troop of elves hold an archery contest in his yard. “Man, those little guys can shoot – right into the bulls-eye every time, and so fast you couldn’t hardly believe it,” he said admiringly.
Two China Village residents who interrupted their morning jog to see why the ducks in the open water by the causeway were agitated: they watched Poco, the 50-foot-long water snake from Pocomoonshine Lake, in Washington County, welcoming Champ from Lake Champlain, in Vermont, and Nessie from Loch Ness, in Scotland.

If past Gatherings are a guide, the Improbables will meet and greet in China until April 1. That evening, they will return to their homes until April Fools Day 2035.

Judson Smith accepted at Maine School of Science and Mathematics

Jud Smith, center, flanked by his mother Lisa Libby, left, and his father Zachary Smith. (contributed photo)

by Mary Grow

Judson Smith, a 13-year-old eighth-grader at Vassalboro Community School (VCS), has been accepted for high school at the Maine School of Science and Mathematics (MSSM), in Limestone.

Jud is an honor roll student at VCS, a member of the JMG (Jobs for Maine Graduates) program and the Gifted and Talented Program and president of the student council. He played soccer last fall.

His father, Zachary Smith, said Jud has long been interested in math and science, partly because of his parents. Smith, with a background in biology and medicine, is a Psychiatric Physician Assistant, and his wife, Lisa Libby, is a pharmacist.

With his parents’ support, Jud went to MSSM’s summer camp for two years. Jud added, “They offered classes where you were able to launch rockets and calculate what distances they would cover.”

At MSSM, Jud intends to focus on chemistry. He is considering a career in chemical engineering, and looks forward to the “more challenging material” he expects at MSSM.

“It is a very high honor for any student to be accepted to this prestigious institution,” Vassalboro school superintendent Alan Pfeiffer said.

China residents share memories of winters past

Part of the crowd at the winters of the past memory-session sponsored by the China Historical Society. (photo by Eric W. Austin)

by Eric W. Austin

On the afternoon of Sunday, March 17, I parked in a puddle across from the China Baptist Church on Causeway Road. The day was cold and gray, but notably, China Lake was almost entirely free of ice, marking an unusually warm and (mostly) snow-sparse midwinter in Maine.

I was attending a memory-session at the Baptist church, organized by the China Historical Society, dedicated to reminiscing about winters past. Inside, several tables were set up with historic items brought by attendees or provided by the historical society, alongside a collection of photos. My attention was captured by a photo of an old-fashioned rail engine buried in the snow, with several men shoveling it out.

Bob Bennett, a member of the society, explained that the photo depicted one of the engines from the narrow-gauge railway that once connected China, Albion, and Branch Mills. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, this railway was a bustling conduit for passengers and goods (mostly milk and potatoes). (Incidentally, Bob Bennett has plans for a tour of the narrow-gauge railway this summer, and interested individuals are encouraged to contact him or the society to reserve a spot.)

The session began with an old film recently digitized by the historical society, showing ice harvesting on China Lake. The film was grainy and silent, which left me wishing for a lively piano soundtrack to accompany the visuals.

David Rodrigue speaks to the group. (photo by Eric W. Austin)

Ron Morrell (photo by Eric W. Austin)

Ron Morrell, who moderated the discussion along with Scott McCormac, then invited the audience, comprising about two dozen residents, to share their memories. The conversation turned to the scale of ice harvesting on China Lake and the Kennebec River, where over 40 operations would take place each winter. The ice was cut with large saws and stored in sawdust-packed houses near the water.

A few attendees shared fond childhood memories of playing in the sawdust. One story, told by Harold Charles, involved two sisters who got back at their bothersome older brother by burying him up to his neck in sawdust at a local ice house.

Questions about the longevity of the stored ice led to discussions about the sawdust from local sawmills in Vassalboro, which was essential for preserving the ice all year. The conversation also touched on Maine’s ice being exported as far as Africa and the cobblestones used as ballast for the returning ships, which contributed to many of New England’s cobblestone roads and walkways.

The China Historical Society’s call for more winter photos from residents was highlighted, with a promise to digitize and return any photos shared.

Scott McCormac, president of the China Historical Society (photo by Eric W. Austin)

Following this, Harold Charles read from a diary entry or letter from the 1940s or ’50s, which included amusing advice on predicting the severity of the coming winter based on observations of corn husks, onion skins, and the behavior of squirrels.

Neil Farrington (photo by Eric W. Austin)

The discussion also covered memorable difficult winters, with Neil Farrington recalling skating through fields after an ice storm, and another resident reminiscing about the town’s post-New Year’s Christmas tree bonfires.

A brief slideshow showcased images from China, South China, and Branch Mills, with one resident explaining the purpose of wooden planks laid along the sidewalks to avoid the mud, due to the unpaved roads of the time.

The session wrapped up with anecdotes about E.B. White, known for Charlotte’s Web, who once spent a night in China, and reminiscences about the challenges of keeping warm in older times.

The event was documented by Tom Parent, with photos and audio recordings soon to be available from the China Historical Society. To join the society, a nominal membership fee of $10 (for individuals) is required.

Camden National Bank promotes Barbara Raths

Barbara Raths

Camden National Bank is pleased to announce the promotion of Barbara Raths, who formerly served as director of treasury management and government banking, to executive vice president of commercial banking. In her elevated role, Raths will focus on accelerating core commercial business development across the company’s footprint and will continue to lead treasury management sales and service strategies.

“Barbara has an unwavering commitment to her clients,” said Simon Griffiths, president and chief executive officer of Camden National Bank. “Her client-centric approach will lead us to expand our relationship banking focus as we continue to drive organic growth. Barbara’s promotion represents our strategic and thoughtful succession planning as well as the exceptional talent and bench strength within our organization. I am confident Barbara will make an excellent addition to our executive team.”

A leading industry expert, Raths has an extensive 20-year banking and finance career, with four of those years cultivating treasury relationships at Camden National Bank. She has taken on increasing levels of leadership with an exceptional focus on delivering integrated financial solutions, prudent risk management, and operational excellence.

Raths earned a bachelor’s degree in Rhetoric at Bates College, in Lewiston, and an MBA with a finance concentration from the University of Southern Maine. She is chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Maine Health and Higher Educational Facilities Authority, serves as the Secretary of the Board of Directors for the Maine International Trade Center, and is a member of the Maine District Export Council.

Northern Light Health joins Health Care Climate Council

Displaying continued commitment to the health of its patients, colleagues, and community, Northern Light Health has been selected as the newest member of the Health Care Climate Council. Northern Light is leading the way in minimizing its environmental effects while providing excellent care in a sustainable manner.

Northern Light’s focus on greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction is a key component of its efforts, as it recently signed the Health Sector Pledge to halve its emissions by 2030 and achieve net zero emissions by 2050. So far, Northern Light Health has reduced its emissions by about 10 percent since 2021. Additionally, Northern Light recently completed a Climate Resiliency Plan to address operational risks and vulnerabilities related to extreme weather events and the changing disease burden.

“Northern Light Health is proud to join the Health Care Climate Council, which is leading the health care sector’s urgent response to climate change,” said Tim Doak, chief environmental sustainability officer. “Our bottom-line goal is to help people lead healthy and happy lives. Working to make Northern Light Health a leader in emissions reduction furthers our mission and supports our patients and community.”

Established by Health Care Without Harm, the Health Care Climate Council is a leadership body of health systems committed to protecting their patients and employees from the health effects of climate change and becoming anchors for resilient communities.

Together, the 19 member systems represent 500 hospitals in 28 states and 250 Congressional districts with a total annual operating revenue of more than $180 billion and more than one million employees.

Health Care Climate Council members implement innovative climate solutions, inspire and support others to act, and use their trusted voice and purchasing power to move policy and markets to drive the transformation to climate-smart healthcare.

“We are delighted to welcome Northern Light Health to the U.S. Health Care Climate Council,” said Jessica Wolff, Health Care Without Harm’s U.S. director for Climate and Health. “With the addition of Northern Light, the Climate Council further demonstrates its commitment to the sector’s transition to 100 percent renewable energy and climate-smart healthcare. We are looking forward to continuing our work with the Climate Council on ambitious mitigation and resilience initiatives and harnessing the powerful voice of its members to help patients, staff, and communities understand that climate change is about health.”