Scavenger hunt in Vassalboro

Vassalboro Days is adding a Scavenger Hunt this year to the events planned for Saturday, September 9. Gather together a group of family and friends to make your Scavenger Team. The use of a cell phone to capture pictures is encouraged to record that your team members have scavenged and found all of the places and things that the organizers have placed on the list.

There is no cost to play! Teams will report to the Vassalboro Business Association booth Saturday morning, from 10-11 a.m., to obtain the Scavenger Hunt list. Teams will have until 5 p.m. Saturday to report back with their completed list of 20 sites or objects that they have scavenged in Vassalboro over the course of the day.

The point system will be moderately complicated (in a fun way!). Points will be given for the number of people in your team. Judges will award points for both style, and a demonstration of having fun which contestants will convey with their pictures. A bus will be available at 2 p.m. to take team members (children must be accompanied by an adult) to sites that are outside of the village areas. Prizes will be three $25 awards and a Ducky Derby Hat for all team members. Call Lauchlin Titus, 207 314-2655 with questions or for more details.

Richardson earns Eagle Scout status

Caleb Richardson, right, 17, a junior at Cony High School, in Augusta, and parents Stephen and Toni Richardson along with many friends, dedicated his eagle scout project to the late Taylor Harmon, on August 27. Harmon was a dedicated Cony High School cross country and track coach for many years. Caleb said, “He was a man who helped athletes use running as a bridge to reach their future goals.” The ribbon cutting ceremony was done by Harmon’s widow, Ms. Rebecca Harmon, above, for whom the bridge is dedicated, and also received a bouquet of roses from Caleb. Boy Scout Troop #603 is proudly sponsored by American Legion Post #205, of Augusta. Right photo, Caleb’s Eagle Scout project.

Contributed photos

Sheepscot Lake residents concerned over reintroduction of lampreys

Many Palermo residents voiced their concerns about the reintroduction of lamprey in Sheepscot Lake during the annual town meeting recently. Contributed photos

Testimonial by Peter Majeski
I would like to bring you back to what will be our future if lamprey become reestablished in Sheepscot Lake. I began fishing in Sheepscot in 1981, primarily for landlocked salmon and togue. In 1986, after five years of fishing, I began to keep a Personal Fishing Record which was submitted to the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife each year. On February 16, 1986, I made the following entry in the booklet after catching an 18-inch togue: “The togue did not have any lamprey marks which is uncommon in this lake. It had no fins clipped that I noticed and was in excellent health and very lively.”

During my previous five years of fishing, the majority of the landlocked salmon and togue that I caught were scarred by lamprey, often multiple times. Most of these wounds did not seem to be completely healed. Often, the wounds seemed fresh. Sometimes the lamprey was still attached to the fish when brought to the boat.

Peter Majeski displaying a couple of his catches following the controlling of lampreys in Sheepscot Lake.

On that February day in 1986, the togue was unmarked. This fact was so unusual that I made a special entry in the diary. Of equal importance is my statement that the fish was in excellent health and very lively. This differs from the lamprey marked fish which typically were not as lively. The wounds on the fish were not a pretty sight. Imagine a 6-inch long lamprey attached to a 12-14 inch salmon.

In the late 1980s, my next door neighbor complained of being bitten while swimming. At first, I did not believe her. Over the years, I have been swimming in about 10 lakes throughout Maine and have never been attacked by a fish. However, a couple of days later I was bitten while swimming in the evening. I swished off the fish. After leaving the water, I inspected the mark on my body which was oblong-shaped and about 1.0 – 1.5 inches long. It looked like the wounds that I saw on countless occasions on the salmon and togue that I caught. I looked at the wound on my neighbor. Her wound was similar but appeared deeper, possibly even breaking the skin. At that point, I was a believer. Lampreys do bite people.

The re-introduction of lamprey into Sheepscot Pond will result in a major environmental change. This re-introduction would again destroy the ecological balance and severely injure the existing fish population.

The Lake Report for Sheepscot Lake issued by the Department of Inland Fisheries and Game published in 1970 states, “The Department has recently initiated a program to prevent lamprey eels from entering Sheepscot Lake by closing the fishway each year in the outlet dam during the period of lamprey spawning migrations.” Twenty-two years later in 1992, the Department wrote, “A long term Department program to prevent lamprey eels from entering the lake by closing the fishway during their spawning migrations has met with some success.” In other words, this program was unsuccessful. Based upon my memory of a conversation with Dave Banton, of Palermo (now deceased), I believe that the migration of both lampreys and alewives was stopped downstream from Sheepscot Dam in order to control the lampreys.

Windsor Fair 2017 – Program of Events

Windsor Fair 2017

Sunday, August 27 through Labor Day, September 4

GATES OPEN 9 a.m. DAILY

Highlights

Sunday, August 27, “Get Acquainted Day”

• Harness Horse Racing – Post Time: 1 p.m.
• Giant Midway Opens 1:30 p.m.
• Gladiolus Show (Exhibition Hall) 2 p.m.

Monday, August 28 “Woodsmen’s & Senior Citizens Day”

• Admission Senior Citizens (60+) $4
• Harness Horse Racing – Post time 3 p.m.
• Giant Midway Opens 1 p.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 29 “Horsemen’s Day”

• Giant Midway Opens 1 pm

Wednesday, Aug. 30, “Vendor Appreciation Day”

• Giant Midway Opens 1 p.m.
• Elvis Tribute w/John Burroughs, 7 p.m.

Thursday, Aug. 31 “Senior Citizens’ Day” (60+) $4 and Veterans Day

• Harness Horse Racing – Post time 3 pm
• Giant Midway Opens 1pm
• Veterans Day Ceremony (Entertainment Area) 10:30 am

Friday, Sept. 1 “Livestock Appreciation Day”

• Harness Horse Racing – Post time 3 pm
• Giant Midway Open Noon
• N.E. Jumpers Assn. horse show 9 a.m. outside ring
• Horse pulling 11 a.m. & 1 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 2 “4-H Day”

• Harness Horse Racing – Post time 1 pm
• Giant Midway Open Noon
• 4-H Dairy, Sheep, Steers, 9:30 am; Rabbit show, 10 a.m.
• Antique Tractor Show 10 a.m.
• Ladies fry pan throwing, 1 p.m. (Memorial Park)

Sunday, Sept. 3 “Museum” and “Childrens Day”

• Giant Midway Open Noon
• Kiddie Tractor Pull, register at information booth, 9 – 11 a.m.
• Monster Truck Show, 7 p.m., $5 admission

Monday, Sept. 4 “Labor Day”

• Giant Midway Open Noon
• Antique Car Show and Parade (Race Track) 11 am

Daily Entertainment

• Demolition Derby – 7 pm, Sunday,

August 27 (Sign up 4 p.m. at Gate #5)

• Bob Marley, Admission $5 (grandstand),

Fri., Sept. 1, followed by fireworks

• Monster Truck Show, Sat., Sept. 2, and

Sun., Sept. 3, 7:30 pm, Admission $5

• Windsor Fair Charity Beano Game Everyday Beginning at 2 p.m.

2017 Entertainment Headliners

Walter Weymouth: Sun., August 27, 1 – 3 pm
Working Class: Tues., Aug. 29, 5 – 7 p.m.
Frye Mountain Band: Wed., Aug. 30, 3 – 5 p.m.
The Flashbacks: Fri., Sept. 1, 2 – 4 p.m.
The Hyssongs: Thurs. Aug. 31, 12:30 – 2 pm
Barry Wood: Sat., Sept. 2, noon – 2 p.m.
Rockit Band: Sat., Sept. 2, 3 – 5 p.m.
Simon & Goodwin: Sat., Sept. 2, 3 – 5 p.m.

Admission: Aug. 27 – Aug. 31: $9 • Sept. 1 – Sept. 3: $10 • Sept. 4 (Labor Day): $9

Historical Society Museum Open Daily (Free Admission)

Gate Opens 9 am Every Day

Free Parking Every Day!

All Rides Have Height Requirements

Horse, Oxen, Steer and Tractor Pulls – Daily

207-549-7911 • 207-549-5249

FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO

www.windsorfair.com

Steward named to dean’s list

Matthew Steward, a freshman criminal justice major, from Skowhegan, was among approximately 860 Bob Jones University students named to the Spring 2017 dean’s list, in Greenville South Carolina.

Serbent inducted into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi

Mark Serbent, of Waterville, was recently initiated into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest and most selective all-discipline collegiate honor society, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Serbent was initiated at United States Naval Academy, in Annapolis, Maryland.

Taking in the eclipse

From left to right, Ethan, Kris and Maddie Loubier, of Winslow, sit back and watch the eclipse of the sun from their home.

Photo by Mark Huard

Knizeske, Hollander receive LakeSmart designation

The China Lake Association is proud to announce that Justine Knizeske and Alan Hollander have been awarded the LakeSmart Award for their lake front property on China Lake. Instead of mowing, they have left the land facing the lake natural with only a lovely set of wooden steps leading to the shore front. This natural buffer is more than 200 feet deep and helps to protect China Lake from pollutants. If you would like a LakeSmart visit from an experienced volunteer, contact us at chinalakesmart@gmail.com. We can provide ideas for you to protect the lake.

Former China fire chief remembered

by Dale Worster

Former China Fire Chief George Studley

It is with greatest of regrets and the heaviest of hearts, the China Village Volunteer Fire Department honors the memory of our good friend and former Chief of 35 years – George Studley.

While it can be a challenge to find the right words to convey how much someone will be missed, no matter what I put in print today, I am going to fall terribly short on conveying what George meant to the China Village Volunteer Fire Department. Joining the China Village Department in 1967 and becoming chief in 1977. George led by example, by working the problem and simply getting things done. Whether it was showing a “newbie” to the department – how to run equipment or if he was trudging fire hose through deep snow to save a home, he was a glowing example of what each of us are losing, each time one more of ‘The Greatest Generation’ slips away.

Over the 50 years George responded to fires, car accidents, rescue calls, community events, etc…. he truly was and still is the heart and soul of the China Village Fire Department. I can’t imagine how someone might try and account for all of the lives he touched in those 50 years, unselfishly giving thousands & thousands of hours of his time to the people and families in our community. In his 70s George was still quick to reply to a fire tone/page and also, very frequently, the first on-scene.

I can say with all honesty that George was one of those very few folks that you meet and not only instantly liked, but simply enjoyed being around. He had a witty way of stating his opinion on many things and was kind to those who didn’t necessarily share his point of view. If you weren’t close, he was a courteous person with his opinion and respected yours. If you were a friend, he had his own unique and thoughtful way of courteously conveying how wrong you were. I was always pleased to have chance meetings with people who knew George – whether I had on a China Fire T-shirt or someone saw my plate, it was always a pleasure when someone would say – “Oh, You must know George!,” and friendly smirk would appear on their face. I might reply with a grin: “Yes, unfortunately – I do.” and our laugher would last a short while.

Often, we would follow-up with short stories of George and how we knew him. At a recent car accident, another firefighter was sharing how he had come up onto a fire scene years earlier and he was trying to make out a blurry image showing from the fading smoke – – it was George, walking out of the smoke, wearing only his shorts and fire boots. I can’t think of a better analogy to describe George’s ability to answer the call while also, maintaining the unique style of Mr. George Studley.

While I don’t have the long history that most in China had with George, nor the amount of stories that many folks hold in their memories and hearts, in the six years I knew him, I’m thankful to have had the privilege to know him and to call him friend. As word spreads of this unfortunate news, I encourage everyone to share their stories of George, because in them, we all get to have George in our lives a while longer, even if he won’t be there to laugh along with us. I do have faith that George and Sheldon, (his best friend of many, many years who passed recently) are once again, sharing their morning coffee and catching up on who’s doing what in town and discussing what they’ll be doing together, this upcoming weekend.

Please, join me in spirit and in the memory of George, as the CVVFD must again, ring the bell three times – which in the fire service, signifies the end of a shift and George’s completion of duties with the China Village Volunteer Fire Department.

In closing, I wish that I was somehow able to really convey to everyone, what George meant to me in the short time I knew him and how very much I’m going to miss him. I think the best I can do, is to say with all honesty: I couldn’t be more pleased or proud, if my own grandson grew up to be just like George Studley.

The Firefighter’s Prayer
– Author Unknown –

When I am called to duty, God,
wherever flames may rage,
give me strength to save a life,
whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child
before it is too late,
or save an older person from
the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert,
and hear the weakest shout,
quickly and efficiently
to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling,
to give the best in me,
to guard my friend and neighbor,
and protect his property.
And if according to Your will
I must answer death’s call,
bless with your protecting hand,
my children, my wife, one and all.

A celebration of George’s life will be held at the China Conference Center, 283 Neck Rd., China, on Sunday, August 27, beginning at 1 p.m. Memorial donations may be made to the China Village Volunteer Fire Dept., PO Box 6035, China Village, ME 04926.