PHOTOS: Scouts take a hike

Photo by Lee Pettengill

On Saturday, March 20, Scouts from China Troop #479 hiked Beech Hill Preserve, in Rockport, and enjoyed a beautiful sunny day. The hike helped prepare the Scouts for more challenging upcoming hikes. This hike included a visit to the 1913 hut at the top of the hill of the 295-acre conservation property.

Photo by Lee Pettengill

Photo by Lee Pettengill

Photo by Lee Pettengill

Maritime Energy supports LifeFlight with gasoline and diesel sales

Maritime Energy and Maritime Farms convenience stores are once again supporting LifeFlight through gasoline and diesel sales at their 13 Maritime Farms convenience stores. This program, titled “Pennies for Life,” donates one cent for every gallon of gasoline and diesel fuel sold during the months of April and May.

“LifeFlight receives a request for transport about every four hours, every day of the week. It has probably helped save the life of someone you know as it has provided critical care and transport for over 30,000 patients throughout Maine” says President of Maritime Energy, Susan Ware Page. “Our state needs this essential service, and we want to do what we can to help the organization.”

Here’s just one story of a young man and his need for the service. There are thousands more, and new needs every day.

Thirteen-year-old Adin Grey was riding his new bike near his home in Camden when the chain came off and the bike stopped short, driving the handlebar into his abdomen. He crashed in a heap on the sidewalk, just across the street from the fire department. Several of the firefighters were outside, they rushed over to help and noticed substantial bleeding from Adin’s midsection. They grabbed a first aid kit from the fire truck and used wound dressings to apply pressure while they waited for the ambulance to get there.

Upon arrival at the hospital it was determined that Adin needed to get to specialized care at Maine Medical Center as soon as possible. The LifeFlight helicopter could make the trip in less than 30 minutes and provide the critical care that Adin needed along the way so the call was made for transport. Once safely in Portland, Adin went into a four-hour surgery to fix the damage and stop the bleeding. It was two more days before he stabilized and his doctors and family breathed a sigh of relief. Adin and his family are happy to report that he has made a full recovery and is a thriving honor student at CHRHS. He is also working part time and recently received his driving permit.

Pennies for Life will help LifeFlight purchase a new state-of-the-art helicopter, which will complete an entire fleet upgrade. These new aircrafts are faster, more powerful, have a larger interior workspace, and advanced avionics that will give LifeFlight more options to safely and reliably answer more calls for help. This translates to more patients served, and served more quickly.

Ezhaya Scholarship applications now available

photo: Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce

Joseph B. Ezhaya was a community leader who distinguished himself with his warmth, enthusiasm, generosity and particularly, his friendships. Successful candidates for this scholarship should share Joe’s interest in citizenship, community service and exemplify his spirit and vitality.

Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce is encouraging all eligible students to apply for its Joseph B. Ezhaya Scholarship. This $750 scholarship is awarded annually for all four years to a recipient upon successful completion of his/her first semester of college with a 2.0 GPA or better.

To be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria: Must be currently attending a Mid-Maine Chamber area high school: Lawrence, Winslow, Mt. View, Waterville, Messalonskee, MCI, Erskine Academy, Temple Academy, or MeANS School; Must maintain an academic average of a “C” or better; Must complete a required short essay on citizenship; Must show evidence of community service and involvement; Must be enrolled in an accredited New England College or University.

Please visit http://www.midmainechamber.com/cms/joseph-b-ezhaya-memorial-scholarship for more information or call the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce at 207-873-3315.

Submissions may be sent via email to patricia@midmainechamber.com or mailed to Ezhaya Memorial Scholarship Applications, Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce, 50 Elm St., Waterville, ME 04901.

All applications must be received by 5 p.m. on April 28, 2021.

Mainers have more help available to pay monthly health insurance bills

Submitted by
Consumers for Affordable Health Care
Contact: Helen Roy, China, Maine, 207-480-2137, Certified Application Counselor

Mainers have more health coverage options than ever. Free help is available to anyone who needs assistance understanding their options. Sorting through those options can be challenging, even for the most sophisticated consumer. The American Recovery Plan has made available more help paying monthly premiums for many people who buy private Marketplace insurance through HealthCare.gov. Many others who did not qualify for help in the past may also now be eligible for premium assistance.

People who are uninsured or worried about being able to pay for their coverage should act quickly. Starting April 1, people who already have Marketplace coverage can update their application to take advantage of the new premium assistance. This current Special Enrollment Period with the Marketplace, where people can enroll in coverage, receive additional premium assistance, and change plans ends on May 15.

There is additional help with premiums for those who are unemployed; they may be eligible for coverage with a $0 premium. Those with COBRA coverage can get help paying for that coverage for a limited time. People with income that was too high in the past can now get premium assistance. Full coverage through MaineCare remains available for those with limited income. You can learn more about MaineCare and how to apply at CoverMe.gov.

Maine’s Health Insurance Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) toll free Help Line provides free assistance to people who need help understanding coverage options and applying for and enrolling in coverage. The CAP was designated by Maine’s Attorney General and the Bureau of Insurance in 2010. Certified Application Counselors provide free, unbiased information about private individual Marketplace insurance and public coverage programs, including MaineCare.

Anyone who is uninsured, worried about losing their health coverage or concerned about not being able to afford health insurance are encouraged to call the CAP Help Line at Consumers for Affordable Health Care (CAHC) toll free at 1-800-965-7476. CAHC is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization located in Augusta with the mission to improve access to affordable quality health care for all people living in Maine.

Don’t delay – Now is the time to look into changes that are making it easier for Maine people to afford the coverage they need. Visit HealthCare.gov to update your plan to receive the extra assistance or to enroll in coverage or call the Consumer Assistance Help Line at 1-800-965-7476 for help.

Noah Lambert, of Fairfield, wins the 2021 Virtual Slam Dunk Contest

Noah Lambert, 16, from Fairfield (photo by Central Maine Photography)

by Mark Huard

Noah Lambert, 16, from Fairfield, is 6-feet, one-inch tall and was one of eight chosen in the Big Time Hoops Maine Dunking Competition.

He works out and practices two to four hours a day or more.

With post season all-star games and festivities being canceled last year into this year, Fort Kent Native Tom Bard wanted to try and put something together for the kids that allowed them to showcase their skills. With everything being virtual over the last year he came up with the idea of doing a virtual 3-Point & Dunk Contest.

Tom had posted a couple questions through social media asking those who follow the page as to who should be invited and send out the the invites based on that input. The kids selected recorded their dunks at their home gyms and sent them back once completed.

Once I had everyone’s videos, I edited and and packaged it as the Big Time Hoops 3-Point Shootout and Dunk Contests and put it up on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vp2U-wdE8M&t=2634s).

Fans voted on who they thought won the Dunk Contest, and Noah Lambert, of Lawrence High School, in Fairfield, was crowned champion. Lambert has been playing basketball now for nine years!

Easter is not about bunnies and eggs

by Gary Kennedy

For all of you who are convinced that the holiday, “Easter,” has something to do with the Cadbury Bunny and her ability to lay chocolate cream filled eggs, I have become compelled after many hours of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude to research and confront this obvious hyperbole. I love chocolate covered Easter eggs, but two issues have risen to the degree of conflict. I took them to bed with me a couple of nights ago and thrashed them out in my dreams. I ended up with chocolate on my face but that rabbit didn’t lay a single chocolate covered, cream filled egg.

Because of the intensity of this traumatic conflict I was left with the burning desire to eat chocolate, cream filled eggs irrespective of their source. I am so weak. The other issue that I was left with was the definition of the real Easter, which had no bunny nor any humor. Bunnies are symbolic of spring and fertility as believed in days of old. However, they have nothing to do with Easter and its true meaning.

Easter which is also called Pascha (Latin, Greek, Aramaic), or the day of resurrection, is a precious time which is set aside to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus. This Easter will be observed on April 4. Easter is a Christian holiday, which the faithful celebrate reverently.

Unfortunately, it has become like a fairy tale over the years and so much of the dedicated observance has been abandoned. Even so, there are many of us that will attend church to be with others who feel compelled to give love and respect to the one we believe gave his everything to save us from ourselves. We are in times currently where that becomes so very important for our well being and for the training of our children.

The Passion of the Cross causes many of us to weep. A beautiful, perfect man suffered the pain and agony in the name of redemption. He loved his creations so much that he needed a sacrifice to redeem us from ourselves. We don’t know why it had to be that way with the pain and suffering of being nailed to a cross and hung in the hot, burning sun to die. One day we’ll perhaps understand the why of it all. For now we just have to accept what he did as a sinless man to save us all. Such is the thinking of a Christian.

There are others who see this story differently but that is up to them. What is the downside of this? The way I see it, if there was no salvation at the end of life, what did it cost you? You lived with some doubt but followed the doctrine. In other words you just always tried to do the right thing and prayed for forgiveness when you failed. Isn’t that a nice way to live, my friends? You have lost nothing and hurt no one. You just lived as you should have anyway.

The 10 Commandments is a heck of a great place to draw from. Love your neighbor as yourself. You would be amazed at the reciprocation. Most people react to sensitivity and kindness. This week my wife and I gave a few dollars to pan handlers. Each and everyone responded with “God Bless You.” Did they speak with sincerity? Perhaps we will never know but we felt good. If one blessed thank you was real, I’m a blessed guy. It sure makes my day.

So, yes there will be Easter egg hunts and other games surrounding Easter and I don’t think our creator has anything against that. Your families will be together which includes many children and grandchildren and, of course, love will be in the air. If your church is open, share the love with those who attend with you.

Easter received its name from the English goddess, Eostre who was celebrated at the beginning of spring. The one source for this information came from the writings of a British Monk named Bede, who lived in the late 7th century. The crucifixion and resurrection of Christ played no role in this. However, I suppose Easter is as good as any other name without just using the explanation of the event of the gift of salvation. The place where Jesus sacrificed his life was known as Golgotha or Calvary.

I hope my little narration of very minimal proportion opens your mind and heart to the true meaning of what we know as Easter. The entire story is both a work of tragedy and beauty. I suggest we all make it part of our lives if only for its moral value. I’m sure when you read the “greatest story ever told” you will realize much more than my fetish with Easter eggs. Also, don’t feel guilty when you pass by the beggar on the street. After all he “might not” be who he is claiming to be; or is he? As for me, I don’t like taking chances. Also, our country is in trouble currently so when you take a knee, pray for all of us who have lost our way. God knows we need it.

Have a great and safe Easter.

God be with you and yours, and God bless and guide America.

Colby professor says China Lake has moderate amounts of nutrients

China Lake (photo by Eric Austin)

by Mary Grow

Colby College Professor Denise A. Bruesewitz, Ph.D., gave China Planning Board members “more than a little bit of food for thought,” Chairman Randall Downer remarked after her presentation at the board’s March 23 meeting.

Bruesewitz is a limnologist (the word means an expert on scientific aspects of inland waters) who has studied lakes in New Zealand and various parts of the United States. She is currently engaged in a National Science Foundation water quality project that uses robotics and computer modeling to study algae in lakes in Maine, including China Lake, and in other states.

Bruesewitz said China Lake is classified as mesotrophic, meaning it has a moderate amount of nutrients in the water. (A eutrophic lake has so many nutrients that algae blooms are common; an oligotrophic lake has few nutrients and therefore is unlikely to have algae blooms.)

Older surveys of China Lake have involved taking water samples from a boat and analyzing them. Bruesewitz said the current study uses drones that collect data and learn to recognize hot spots. There are plans to create diving robots.

Downer invited Bruesewitz to help board members develop standards for shoreland erosion barriers. She said she and her colleagues are not familiar with the type of solid vertical barrier that caused the planning board discussion, but in principle such barriers are not a good idea.

The zone where water and land meet, an area that is alternately wet and dry, is ecologically important, she said. Technically named the reference line, it is home to microbes that eat nutrients and is therefore critical to protecting water quality.

The shallow water on the lake edge of the zone houses life forms that are part of the lake’s food web, so it, too, should be protected from man-made disturbance, Bruesewitz said.

Downer asked how to quantify effects of a solid barrier. Bruesewitz replied it would not be easy. She suggested three possible methods: measure on-land nutrient uptake over the seasons and in different conditions; or look for relevant studies from comparable water bodies; or begin a citizen-science monitoring and sampling program.

Bruesewitz shared several documents with planning board members, including New Hampshire’s 2019 Shoreland Water Quality Protection Act that several members considered worth studying.

Replying to questions from board member Scott Rollins, Bruesewitz said China Lake’s biggest threats are the phosphorus that is already in the lake, plus on-land factors, like roofs, paved areas and other impervious surfaces and lack of buffers, that add more unwanted nutrients. Remedies, she said, include providing vegetated buffers that control run-off without separating land and water, and minimizing soil disturbance in the watershed.

She told the board she will be able to share results of the National Science Foundation project with them and with the Kennebec Water District, which uses China Lake’s west basin as its water source.

In other business March 23, Codes Officer Jaime Hanson’s report to the board included the comment that China is experiencing “a definite uptick in construction,” based on permit applications for new houses and other construction.

Board members continued review of the draft solar ordinance that, if approved by voters, will give them standards for reviewing applications for solar installations, both individual and commercial. The ordinance is not on the warrant for the June 8 town business meeting.

All solar installations require permits. Hanson bases his reviews on the six-year-old International Residential Code, and planning board members have been adapting standards for new structures to cover rows of solar panels.

The next China Planning Board meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 13.

Teaching in the year of Covid-19

China Middle School teacher Ron Maxwell with part of his daily uniform. (contributed photo)

by Jeanne Marquis

Covid-19 has created unprecedented times in our schools, full of challenges for parents, students and teachers alike. I had the opportunity to interview one of our local seasoned teachers, Ron Maxwell, a science teacher with China Middle School, who gave a frank look into what it is like to teach during this era of Covid. Although we may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, it is important to document what our teachers are going through during these extraordinary times.

Ron Maxwell said he had no experience teaching remotely before the pandemic. In late August at the beginning of the 2020-21 school year he was told the school was offering remote learning for some students using Google Classroom. So as Ron put it, “We kind of learned as we went because this was a brand new thing for most of us.”

“There’s something magical about a face. Our brain gets so much information from the entire thing. That’s what we’re missing the most. There’s a connection. It’s also half the communication.”

As every teacher did across the nation, Ron had to adapt his teaching methods as well as his classroom organization. He had to protect his students from a contagious virus, while at the same time connect with them inside the classroom and through his laptop screen.

Ron explained, “My philosophy has always been hands-on, so a lot is experiential. Most of my grading happens with what we do in the classroom and I use homework sparingly. We do a lot with lab reports. I set up stations in the classroom, and they run from here to there as they work in groups. And, of course, everything that I’m describing now went out the window.

“This school year all the things that I’ve been practicing and perfecting needed dramatic changes to be possible. We’re doing an electronic learning target right now where they’re learning the difference between series and parallel circuits. Over here, I have three bins of wires and bulbs and batteries, none of which I can use because I can’t put them down for the kids to use and then put back in the next group because of the sanitation.”

Sanitation became an essential part of the 2020-2021 school day to keep both the students and the faculty safe, adding another layer of complexity and stress. “Now I’m literally spraying down my classroom every time a class leaves. So imagine the bell rings. They all get up. They’re packing up. They’re chatting. They’re decompressing, and they’re leaving right? That is, if I can get them to leave, because they are junior high kids. We have to watch them to make sure they’re staying this far apart and they’re wearing their masks. Then I have to lock the door and spray everything down. So in essence, that’s what happens in that two minute time between classes.”

Another challenge to the 2020-2021 school year was learning how to connect with students through laptop screens. As a veteran teacher, Ron knew how to set guidelines upfront. To be counted as present in class as a remote student, Ron told them he needed to see their faces, not the ceiling or blank screen. That was a non-negotiable rule. He said in the beginning he had a few students who were reticent about showing their faces. Each morning as their faces popped up as they joined the class, he greeted them with a “hello that says I see you, you exist and you mean something.”

For the most part, Ron’s remote students are fully engaged, “I may just have the best students. Maybe that’s why or maybe the answer is sometimes their parents on the other end, and I can hear them in the background laughing at my jokes.

“I’m deeply appreciative of all the support the parents give us. We couldn’t do our work if they weren’t doing theirs. I’ve said things have changed for me but things have changed for them, as well. Now, if you were to drive by the school building around 7:15 a.m., you would see the line of cars start. They wait in line sometimes for as long as a half an hour to drop their kids off and pick their kids up. I couldn’t imagine that. Parents, who used to be a two-income household, now they’re a one income household because one parent has elected to stay home and look after the kids. Yeah, and there are single parents of our students holding down a job, helping the kid appropriately attend classes, making sure they figured out how to get internet at home to deal with this. The community has really stepped up. We are blessed to have the support that we have. I’m proud of them as much as I am of my colleagues.”

Ron Maxwell expressed so openly what a challenging academic 2020-21 is for teachers, ed techs, students and their parents to balance safety, learning and technology. It’s a year where challenges are being met and adaptations are ongoing through human resilience and cooperation.

At the end of the interview, Ron said the one thing that he misses from the pre-Covid days that he will never take for granted again is seeing his students’ faces and he explained why: “The other day, I realized something important. I am looking solely at their eyes now. Yeah. And if I walk by them outside on the playground, I don’t know my own students. Oh my gosh. Because with their lower faces open, it changes who they are. It does. So, what do I miss the most? Yeah. I miss the faces.

“I have a student who had several older siblings, and I taught most of the kids in the family. She looks just like an older sister until the first time I saw her out there. [Outside at recess.] I was just amazed because she’s entirely her own person, of course.

“There’s something magical about a face. Our brain gets so much information from the entire thing. That’s what we’re missing the most. There’s a connection. It’s also half the communication.”

Check for unclaimed property

Be sure to check for unclaimed property by visiting https://maineunclaimedproperty.gov on occasion, as new properties are added continuously. For unclaimed property in another state, you can search the national database of unclaimed property at www.missingmoney.com.

Palermo student earns climate scholarship

John Edwards, an eighth grader at Palermo Consolidated School. (contributed photo)

John Edwards, an eighth grader at Palermo Consolidated School, won a scholarship to attend the 2021 Talk Climate Institute on March 23 and 24. John learned about climate topics and developed strategies to discuss climate issues. The institute, run by the Climate Generation, provides teaching tips, resources, inspiration, and community networking to assist in bringing climate change discussions to schools. John has been interested in topics of climate change since the fifth grade and he is excited to learn about strategies from around the world on how to protect the earth. John hopes to use this experience to enhance his knowledge and to share information and strategies with others.