China’s treasured community leader retires

Irene Belanger upon receiving a plaque of appreciation from the town of China. (contributed photo)

42 years service to town; 22 years as select board member

by Deborah Belanger-Warnke

Whether in the public eye or behind the scenes, over the past 22 years China residents have placed their trust and confidence in Irene Lydia Belanger. Serving as an elected member on the China Select Board, she has been steadfast in representing the people’s best interests and moving the community forward.

While many of us may struggle to find time to volunteer for basic community endeavors, there are those individuals who strive to make a difference for the community at large on a frequent basis. We are fortunate that one of those individuals came to reside in China, Maine, in 1969. Since then, Irene has been serving China in many capacities; wearing many hats over the last 42 years. In today’s standards it is a rarity to find such enduring dedication and strong sense of duty to one’s community.

Irene’s service to China started when she literally wore the hat of a Cub Scout leader in 1970. Her interest in community work sprung from the leadership and teaching of a young pack of cub scouts that included several of her sons. This initial volunteer work planted the seeds of a community leader who went forward to impact China in so many ways.

No matter the roles she served in, it was Irene’s moral compass and compassion for community that became her guiding light throughout a life-time of community service in China. If you talk with Irene, it becomes quite evident that serving her community in multiple capacities over 42 years has left her feeling extremely proud and satisfied.

Irene was never one to say “no” to a request for her assistance. She volunteered to drive community members to medical appointments or shopping, Trunk or Treat, Transfer Station drug drop off and many other town events. Her community outreach left a footprint on the following local committees: Comprehensive Planning Board, China Days, Economic & Community Development, Transfer Station, Recreation, Lake Access, Thurston Park and Roadside Clean-up.

In representing the town of China, Irene’s work led to travel to many areas of Maine, working alongside politicians, community business leaders, RSU #18 teachers and superintendents, along with many municipal leaders. Over the years, Irene’s hard work and esteemed dedication to duty led to her selection on the Board of Directors for the following organizations: the Municipal Review Committee (MRC), the Kennebec Valley Council of Governments (KVCOG), the Maine Resource Recovery Association (MRRA), and Spirit of America. Irene also served as the president of KVCOG and worked on various committees for the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce (MMCC).

It is no wonder Irene has been recognized for outstanding achievement from the Maine Real Estate Commission, the Kennebec Valley Council of Governments, the Mid-Maine Chamber of Commerce, Spirit of America, the Messalonskee High School Eagle Award from the Alumni Association, and the Maine Resource Recovery Association. She most recently received an award from the Town of China on Monday, October 25, honoring her service.

Irene wishes to thank her spouse Joseph V. Belanger, her family, the China Town Manager Becky Hapgood, state wide committee and board members, fellow China select board members, the transfer station staff, the China community and many others for their caring and support over the past 42 years.

“My service to the China Community has been important work and very satisfying to me,” Belanger said. “I’m honored to have done my very best for others and to have represented the Town of China. My love of community has served me well over the years, I feel so grateful to have done this valuable and rewarding work”.

Irene was quick to say, “I will so miss being a China select board member, however, I’m still here to serve, and will continue to be active in my community anyway I can.” With a twinkle in her eyes she laughed saying, “Don’t worry, Becky Hapgood has my number! Besides, my interest in the Transfer Station Committee, recycling and Free for Taking building will keep me busy.”

Irene graciously passed the torch to current and newly-elected China Select Board members on November 2. Thank you, Irene, for a “Job Well Done” and your selfless service to the citizens of China, Maine, and beyond for over 42 years! Enjoy your retirement!

PHOTO: Waterville advances

The Waterville Purple Panthers quarterback Liam Von Oesen with the carry during last Friday’s game vs. Mount Desert Island. The Panthers captured the win, 50-40, and will advance to the Regional North Large School 8-man football game this coming Saturday, November 6, versus Morse High School, of Bath. (photo by Kevin Giguere, Central Maine Photography)

These fish have been waiting 200 years for this moment

The Maine Rivers team at the location of the new fishway constructed at the head of Outlet Stream, from left to right, Landis Hudson, executive director; Matt Streeter, project manager; and Nate Gray of the Maine Department of Marine Resources. (photo by Eric W. Austin)

by Eric W. Austin

It’s been more than 200 years since an alewife has successfully made its way, under its own power, from the ocean and up the Sebasticook River to Outlet Stream before arriving at China Lake, but all that’s about to change. After nearly seven years of hard work, oceans of red tape, scores of harrowing town meetings, contentious public debate and skeptical property owners, the Maine Rivers team has succeeded in their efforts to bring a fish back to China Lake.

To understand the momentous nature of their success, we must travel back in time to examine the problem they were attempting to address when they first conceived of this project back in 2014.

As European settlers moved up the New England coast and into Maine’s interior in the 1700s, they naturally established communities along the state’s abundant water sources. Beyond their use as fresh water for crops and consumption, fast-moving rivers and streams provided a source of power for the growing lumber and agricultural industries. As a result, dams popped up everywhere. In Vassalboro alone, there were six dams along Outlet Stream, the egress for most of the water in China Lake.

These dams provided an important resource for growing settlements in central Maine, but they also had one major negative effect on the environment: by blocking the flow of water the dams also prevented fish from traveling between the lake and the ocean as they had been doing for thousands of years. Now, two centuries later, these dams no longer offer the benefits they once did, but they have continued to block the movement of migratory fish up and down our waterways. This has had an ecological impact on the food web in the lake and all the way along Outlet Stream to Sebasticook River and beyond.

Maine Rivers, a nonprofit group initially founded by the Natural Resources Council of Maine before becoming an independent organization in 2003, with a mission to “protect, restore and enhance the health and vitality of Maine’s rivers,” has been working with many local groups, including the towns of China and Vassalboro, the Maine Department of Marine Resources, the Kennebec Water District, the Sebasticook Regional Land Trust and the China Region Lakes Alliance, to remove these legacy dams – or build fishways around them – and free up the Outlet Stream for the return of migratory fish like river herring (alewives and blueback herring), sea lamprey and salmon, among others.

The core Maine Rivers’ team consists of executive director Landis Hudson, project manager Matt Streeter, and longtime resident of Vassalboro and Maine Department of Marine Resources’ employee, Nate Gray. I have had the pleasure of meeting with them twice before, in 2019 and 2020, to discuss their progress on this project.

“The fact that the one and only Nate Gray, who works for the Department of Marine Resources, lives in Vassalboro,” Hudson says about one of the reasons for their success. “You cannot find a person with any more expertise, connections and commitment. He’s been a leading light. Vassalboro is lucky to have him. The State of Maine is lucky to have him, and I think it’s fair to say that it’s hard to imagine a project of this scale being done anywhere else in New England.”

Over the course of the project, three dams have been dismantled, Lombard, Masse and — this year — Morneau, and three fishways have been constructed, at Box Mill and Ladd dams, and most recently, at the head of Outlet Stream.

Although Maine’s Department of Marine Resources has been stocking alewives in China Lake since the late ‘90s, the fish could not return to the lake for spawning because of blockages created by these dams along Outlet Stream and must be restocked every year. Nate Gray says he expects the lake can support about one million alewives, although that will fluctuate from year to year.

Alewives play an important role in the ecology of the lake and in the food web all along the water sources leading away from it. Their young feed on the phosphorous-rich plankton in the lake, and carry those nutrients with them back to the ocean where most are eaten by bigger fish. In this way, they serve an important role in maintaining an appropriate nutrient balance in the lake and their return should help increase water clarity over time.

One aspect of the project that doesn’t get enough attention is the work the team does after a dam is dismantled. From the head of Outlet Stream, where the team is finishing the final fishway, we traveled just up the road to the remains of Masse Dam to see how the landscape has changed over the years since it was removed.

A dam stops the flow of water and creates a pond behind it. When it is removed and the stream is allowed to proceed naturally, the pond drains and what is left is a broad, muddy patch of ground devoid of any vegetation. An important part of the Maine Rivers project has been to restore the ecology of these areas and nurture the healthy return of the original habitat. They have worked with the local Vassalboro schools, particularly the fifth and sixth graders, to plant native shrubs, trees and flowers that would have grown here before the dams were constructed.

“The more diverse the habitat, the more diverse the plants are, the greater the habitat value for insects and birds, rodents and everything else,” says project manager Matt Streeter, gesturing across the field that used to be the location of a pond behind Masse Dam.

The new fishway recently constructed at the head of Outlet Stream in Vassalboro. (photo by Nate Gray)

The Outlet Stream will also run cooler as a result of the dam removals, since standing water like the pools created behind the dams tend to heat up and carry that heat downstream. This cooler water should attract new species of fish that appreciate the colder temperatures, such as brook and brown trout. Eagles are already flocking to the newly opened waterway, which is a good sign.

And, of course, there are the alewives. Since the Department of Marine Resources have been stocking alewives in China Lake for years, they are already imprinted with the location of the lake and will return for spawning. This spring will see thousands of the fish fighting their way up the fishways in their efforts to start a new generation. (The best places to watch the alewife runs will be at either Ladd or Box Mill dams, as the fishway just finished at the head of Outlet Stream is not set up for public viewing.)

Executive director of Maine Rivers, Landis Hudson, says the expertise they have built in the team over the years of working on the project is their greatest asset. And their work is not done. “There are lots of opportunities in Maine for improving fish passage,” she says.

“There are thousands of dams around the state that are doing nothing useful,” confirms project manager Streeter.

So, let’s pause and appreciate the simple alewife. After more than 200 years, this is the moment they’ve been waiting for.

Time to order citrus fruit

Once again, it is time to order your sweet, sparkling citrus fruit in time for Christmas or Thanksgiving. The fruit is picked and shipped within 24 hours and is guaranteed to be in peak condition and flavor, or your money back. Shipping costs only $6.95 per box, and can be delivered anywhere in the continental U.S.

Orders are taken online only. To see the mouth-watering fruit, please go to https://www.Floridaindianrivergroves.com/ecommerce/1018996. Please make sure the ID number, 1018996, is on your order. This sale benefits the Palermo Community Center, which, in turn, provides a venue, freezer space, and utilities for the Palermo Food Pantry. This is a safe, no-contact delivery. Thank you for helping to support the Community Center and Food Pantry!

For more information, please contact Connie Bellet at pwhitehawk@fairpoint.net or call 993-2294.

Children’s book author to hold book signing at Retail Therapy in Waterville

Jeanine Deas

Local children’s book author Jeanine Deas will be signing copies of her new book, We’re All in the Kitchen, at an appearance, at Retail Therapy Consignment Boutique, 270 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville, on Saturday, November 6, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Personally-signed copies of We’re All in the Kitchen, along with the author’s previous books, Anna’s Little Buddy and Twinkle, Twinkle, Where You Are, will be available for $10 each.

Throughout We’re All in the Kitchen, Jeanine Deas and illustrator Rebecca Reinhart bring their unforgettable storytelling magic to the pages of a delightfully infectious, sing-songy story about one diverse family’s rib-tickling kitchen experience. It’s too-much-fun—and PERFECT to share with the wee readers you love!

For more information, please call Retail Therapy Consignment Boutique at (207) 213-4600.

Irene Belanger honored for 22 years of service

Irene Belanger, seated left, recently retired from the select board after 22 years of service. Pictured with her are her husband, “Val”. right, and her immediate family standing behind her. (photo courtesy of Kelly Grotton)

LakeSmart presentation by Mary Wicklund, Maine’s LakeSmart Program Manager

Mary Wicklund, Maine’s LakeSmart Program Manager, right, presented information on the state’s LakeSmart Program to about two dozen people in the region via a “hybrid” in-person & Zoom meeting held October 20. With her, displaying a LakeSmart Award Sign, is the China Region Lakes Alliance Executive Director, Scott Pierz, who sponsored the event. (photo by Susan Gallo, Executive Director of Maine Lakes)

Various broadband initiatives across Maine to provide improved access

Photo credit: Barta IV, https://www.flickr.com/photos/98640399@N08/9287370881

by Jeanne Marquis

Communities through the Central Maine and Coastal regions are creating initiatives to improve their internet services to existing users and provide connection to underserved areas. Each community or coalition of communities is in a different stage of their progress, yet all have similar goals of future proofing their internet connections, providing reliable service to underserved residents and more affordable service to those who are currently served.

The Southwestern Waldo Broadband Coalition (SWBC) is one of these initiatives. Their goal is to connect Freedom, Liberty, Montville, Palermo, and Searsmont with affordable, accessible broadband coverage. In a survey conducted from April to September of 2021, fifty-five percent of respondents stated that no company was able to provide internet service to their homes. The survey results are further supported by a Geographical Information System (GIS) Mapping of the area showing most of Southwestern Waldo is in an internet desert devoid of connection.

Bob Kurek, Palermo selectman, explains why he works actively to advocate for SWBC,

“This is my second term as a selectman. I would like to leave the town doing something good for the town and I think this is probably the one thing that will benefit most of our residents.

“My next reason is funding. I would call myself a pragmatic conservative. I wouldn’t normally have gone after the government put in a lot of money. But as long as the government has decided they’ve got money that’s available [for broadband coverage], I want to be ready, willing and able to accept it and put it to use to solve a problem for our residents.”

The SWBC is fueled by volunteers from the five towns that comprise the coalition. Kurek explains, “If you realize the resources that it takes to pull together the information that you need to work on these grants? Small towns, like the R5 towns, don’t have enough resources to do it but when we combine we have the resources – I’m just thrilled by the people who work with us. We’ve got engineers, we’ve got educators, we’ve got accountants, we’ve got a good group of people who understand what it is that we’re wanting to do. They’re all working to solve the problem. They realize that our area is so unserved and underserved by broadband service. We could enhance our economic development, we can enhance education, and we can make it easier for people who need to communicate with doctors.”

The SWBC completed an extensive survey to ascertain the level of interest and need in their five town area. Key members of the coalition presented the results this September in informational sessions at town meetings. The SWBC earned the approval of all five select boards to use funds from the first distribution of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) for a feasibility study. The SWBC is now soliciting bids from eight consulting firms.

Another broadband initiative in the Central Maine region is the Western Kennebec Lakes Community Broadband Asso­ciation, which combines the towns of Fayette, Leeds, Mount Vernon, Readfield, Vienna and Wayne. A statement on the association’s website expresses that their towns need improved access to the internet to help their students get an education, promote remote work opportunities, access information and reduce isolation by connecting family and friends. The association also views internet access as vital to the future financial wellbeing of their communities by encouraging new residents to settle and their current families’ youth to stay or return.

The WKLCBA is currently gathering survey information from residents from their six communities. Video testimonials are posted on their website expressing the need for improved internet service from a variety of sectors: health, education and business.

Ellsworth is an example of a community with a newly-installed fiber network serving three miles of their downtown area. The city is currently offering leases to connect to the network to both residential and business customers. The goal of the fiber network project is to position Ellsworth as a technology-friendly city to attract remote workers and companies for whom broadband is a vital component of their business.

The Ellsworth city website says the city may expand the network overtime as the interest grows and update the technology at either end of the cable as needed.

The Town of China appointed a broadband committee to research options for better internet service and this committee has been meeting since early 2017. The China Broadband Committee (CBC) found that the major internet provider services only 70 percent of the town, the rest are serviced by a lower quality DSL or have no service. The committee’s solution to provide more reliable, more affordable internet service to every resident and business in China is similar to the fiber network plans of the broadband initiatives in progress across our state. The CBC plan is highly detailed and analyzed in an October 14, 2021, article by The Town Line technical advisor Eric Austin found at https://townline.org/category/sections/columns/tech-talk/ and on the CBC website at https://chinabroadband.net/.

A musical legacy passes to the next generation at So. China Community Church

South China Community Church new musical director Ian Maxwell. Inset. (contributed photo)

by Eric W. Austin

The South China Community Church has chosen Ian Maxwell, a local South China resident and recent graduate of Eastern University, to be their new director of music. Maxwell will be replacing Chris Faris, who previously held the position for the last 29 years.

“The choir is very excited to be working with Ian, who is challenging them with some difficult pieces that require more than just one rehearsal to learn,” said Janet Preston, an elder in charge of worship music at the church and part of the team that selected Maxwell for the position. “Ian was the obvious choice to succeed our previous ‘Minister of Music,’ Chris Faris. He and his family have been active members of South China Community Church since Ian was very young. Ian started playing piano as a child and quickly impressed his teacher (Muriel Desrosier of Winslow) with his talent and potential.”

Among the responsibilities of the church music director is to choose, along with the worship chair and pastor, the hymns used during church services and by the choir, and to accompany them on piano, as well as directing rehearsals for the choir during the week.

“South China Community Church is the church I grew up in,” said Ian Maxwell, “so it’s an honor to be able to take a leadership position there. I intend to use the talents I was given to assist the church in worship, and to tackle fulfilling and beautiful music with our choir. I’m very excited about what the future will bring.”

Maxwell graduated from Eastern University, in St. Davids, Pennsylvania, in the spring of 2021 with a degree in General Music and a concentration in Piano, his primary instrument.

Outgoing director Chris Faris. (contributed photo)

The previous director, Chris Faris, was a prolific composer and has written more than 100 songs to be used during church services. Preston was worried those songs would be lost with the appointment of a new music director. “Not so,” she said. “One of Ian’s first choices was one of Chris’ pieces. The choir was thrilled and even sent a recording of themselves singing it to Chris, who was delighted as well.”

Faris often wrote pieces about themes that were important to individual members of the congregation. “He wrote a beautiful song about fairness for my daughter, Beth,” Preston said. She hopes to help publish a book of Faris’ compositions in the near future.

Besides serving as music director for the church and writing original songs, Faris was also a chef and created elaborate soup suppers for the congregation that were held before church events. “He was much more than simply our pianist, earning the title of ‘Minister of Music,’” said Preston. “We so appreciate his many years of service to South China Community Church.”

Not long after returning to China after graduation, Maxwell approached Faris and Preston about creating a second choir. “Chris saw this as an opportunity to retire and leave the choir in good hands,” said Preston. “Things fell into place very quickly. It was a win-win situation. We were very fortunate that Ian was eager and willing!”

Preston hopes that Maxwell’s youth and energy will attract new people to join the church choir. “He is a young, dynamic, and creative director with a great sense of humor and a hugely positive attitude,” she said. “It is so much fun to sing with/for him! All are welcome to stop in Wednesday evenings at 7:30 (for choir rehearsal) at South China Community Church on Village Street (across from the South China Library).”

The South China Community Church holds rehearsals for the choir at 7:30 p.m., on Wednesdays, and worship services at 10 a.m., on Sundays.

Protect Maine’s forest: don’t purchase or use bittersweet or multiflora rose in decorations

Multiflora rose Sesamehoneytart, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

The Maine Department of Agricultural, Conservation and Forestry (DACF) urges Mainers to beware of invasive plants that may be used in wreaths, garlands, and other fall decorations.

Under Maine law, it is illegal to import or sell invasive plants in any form (plants, seeds, or cuttings) in the state, including vines and fruit used to create decorative wreaths.

For complete information on the 33 species banned for importation and sale in Maine, visit the DACF website.

The two most common invasive plants used in wreaths and garlands are Asiatic bittersweet, and multiflora rose. Both plants cause severe environmental damage by invading open fields, forests, wetlands, meadows, and backyards and crowding out native plants.

Asiatic bittersweet kills mature trees through strangling.

Multiflora rose can form impenetrable thickets that keep native plant species.

Both species are difficult to control and easily re-sprout after cutting. The placement of wreaths and garlands outdoors or disposing of them in compost piles can lead to new infestations. Birds and other animals also eat the fruit and spread viable seeds into vulnerable forest areas.

“Many invasive plants may seem beautiful but are a serious threat to our natural areas and the wildlife that depends on native plants to sustain them,” said Maine State Horticulturist Gary Fish. “It is not legal to sell wreaths that contain these banned species and consumers should look for decorations with native species in them like winterberry holly, red twig dogwood, or American mountain ash.”

The public can report locations where banned plants are being sold to the Maine Horticulture Program at horticulture@maine.gov or by calling 207-287-3891.