China Food Pantry team walks in Augusta Feed Me 5K

Front row, from left to right, Andrew Maxwell, Rachel Maxwell, James Maxwell, Elizabeth McLean, Peter Maxwell and Aurie Maxwell. Back, Abigail Maxwell, Catherine Durant, Caley Pillow and John Burns. The team leader, Ann Austin, is taking the photo.

On April 27, amidst the rain, the China team representing the Food Pantry volunteers, took part in the Feed Me 5K Walk to End Hunger, in Augusta. This annual event was organized by the Maine State Credit Union and involved charitable groups in central Maine. Each walker raised sponsorship donations which will be combined with fundraising efforts of the Maine State Credit Union and returned to that organization next spring. This year the China team raised $620. Last year the China Pantry’s portion was three times the amount they raised in sponsorship money. Thanks to all sponsors and the staff at the Maine State Credit Union for the hard work and caring shown to the community.

Winslow schools autism program still productive after 13 years

Front row, from left to right, Samantha Lessard, Joan Brown, Kelsey Steeves, Rachel Leak and Peg Pellerin. Back, Nicole DeRoche, Anne Rice, Joan Varney, Anna Collins and Melissa Hanley, head of the program. (Photo by Tawni Lively, Central Maine Photography staff)

Winslow Elementary School has an Autism Program that services 16 students and has been in place at the Winslow Elementary School for 13 years. They do many social groups throughout the day to help students develop social skills including Lunch Social Groups, Play social groups, and end of day Circle of Friends. The Autism Program has a Sensory Room that allows students to take needed breaks to be successful throughout the school day. The Sensory Room is used by many students enrolled at Winslow Elementary School, not just by the students in the Autism Room. The community is very proud and grateful for this intricate Program and its dedicated teachers and facilitators.

Renaissance awards at Erskine

Seniors of the Trimester recipients, from left to right, Jack Tobey, Milo Lani-Caputo, Willow Throckmorton-Hansford, Will Bourque and Morgaine Kmen. (Contributed photos)

On Friday, March 29, Erskine Academy students and staff attended a Renaissance Assembly to honor their peers with Renaissance Awards.

Recognition Awards were presented to the following students: Robert Cade King, Isabella Bishop, Justin Browne, Sam Worthley, Jenna Butler, Kaytie Millay, Tara Maltese, Sam Falla, Alyssha Gil, Annika Gil, and Seth Reed.

Faculty of the Trimester recipients, Darrin Wood, left, Marcia Coffin. (Contributed photos)

In addition to Recognition Awards, Senior of the Trimester Awards were also presented to five members of the senior class: Jack Tobey, son of Amy and Christopher Hayes, of China, and Corey and Cheryl Tobey, of Palermo; Willow Throckmorton-Hansford, daughter of Mary Throckmorton, of Somerville; Will Bourque, son of Michelle and Joseph Bourque, of China; Morgaine Kmen, daughter of Christine Little and Mark Kmen, of China; and Milo Lani-Caputo, son of Andrea Lani and Curry Caputo, of Whitefield. Seniors of the Trimester are recognized as individuals who have gone above and beyond in all aspects of their high school careers.

In appreciation of their dedication and service to Erskine Academy, Faculty of the Trimester awards were also presented to Marcia Coffin, attendance secretary; and Darrin Wood, EA community member.

Cancer walk at Clinton school

From left to right, co-advisor Mrs. Cloutier, sixth grade students Kaylie Smith, Kylie Delile, Colton Carter, Alyssa Carter and co-advisor Mrs. Buck. (Contributed photo)

Clinton Elementary School’s Student Council led the school in a Bulldog Strong Walk-a-thon cancer walk for the American Cancer Society recently. Students and staff carried with them lists of names of the people they know or have known who had cancer. Over $1,002 was raised.

Vassalboro honors World War II veterans

Earl Brown (right) accepts his commemorative certificate from American Legion Commander Tom Richards (left). (photo by Eric Austin)

by Eric W. Austin

The fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral, in France, was still burning on Monday evening, April 15, as a small group gathered at St. Bridget’s Community Center, in Vassalboro, to celebrate the service of the soldiers who had freed that country from Nazi occupation 75 years earlier.

Legion Chaplain Pearley Lachance opens the ceremony in prayer. (photo by Eric Austin)

The devastation unfolding in Paris was clearly on the minds of everyone, as Pearley Lachance, American Legion chaplain for Bourque-Lanigan American Legion Post 5, in Waterville, opened the ceremony in prayer. “We are witnessing, via television, the destruction by fire of Notre-Dame, in Paris,” the chaplain intoned solemnly. “Paris was liberated by our brave troops in 1944. Many of them came home with memories of having visited this holy site. To the remaining veterans of that great war, we are grateful, and pray that God protects them until their final hour. Amen.”

Later, Jim Kilbride, Adjutant for Vassalboro American Legion Post 126, explained the impetus for holding this celebration honoring local World War II veterans. “We were having meetings,” he said, “and realized that for a lot of our older veterans, it was getting harder for them to come to the meetings. We decided we needed to do something before they were all gone. When we originally started researching it, we thought we had seven [veterans of World War II], only to find out that two had passed away recently.”

Although the Legion eventually identified five Vassalboro World War II veterans still living, three of those men, James W. Gray (US Army), Roland Lapointe (US Army), and Robert Roux (US Navy), could not make it to the ceremony for health reasons. Earl Brown (US Army) and Willard Sleamaker (US Navy) were in attendance, however.

Willard Sleamaker (left), US Navy, accepts his certificate of recognition from Commander Tom Richards. (photo by Eric Austin)

Willard Sleamaker was only 17 when he joined the Navy, and was stationed on an island repair station in the Philippines during the war. “We maintained a little island that became the ship repair center for the Pacific,” he explained. “My job as a kid was to operate equipment, grease it and keep it maintained.”

Earl Brown was drafted into the Army right out of high school, shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and served as a field medic in the 79th division. He remembers participating in the liberation of Paris in August 1944, and visiting Notre-Dame Cathedral after the fighting ended. “That’s why I’ve been watching all day,” referring to the fire still burning in the Gothic church.

(Earl can usually be found at Bee’s Snack Bar, in Winslow, around 10 a.m. each morning, so be sure to drop by to say hello and thank him for his service.)

Richard Bradstreet, Vassalboro resident and state representative for District 80, also spoke briefly at the ceremony. “It’s an honor and a privilege to be here,” he said. “We honor our people who served their country.” Then, referring to Tom Brokaw’s 2004 book, The Greatest Generation, which he had recently finished reading, he said, “It was really eye-opening to me what the Greatest Generation went through in service to our country. I appreciate all the work that you’ve done, and appreciate our World War II veterans especially. They are part of the Greatest Generation, and I’m gratified to be here. Thank you.”

Richard Bradstreet, State Representative for District 80, speaks at the commemoration ceremony. (photo by Eric Austin)

Perhaps the most poignant moment of the evening came when Post 126 Adjutant Jim Kilbride read a certificate originally sent by the State of Maine to the families of soldiers killed in World War I. “In 1920, the State of Maine sent this certificate to the families of those that passed away during World War I,” he told the audience. “I have never seen a statement that better covers what it means to serve your country.” He then read from the century-old document: “’War means sacrifice. Every man or woman who enters the service lays at the feet of his country his hopes, his ambition, and his life. This is fully understood and yet it lessens not but little the sense of loss when that supreme sacrifice is made.’” After a pause, he looked up at the audience again, his eyes tight with emotion. “That is what it means to serve your country — to put your life, your hopes, your ambitions, your dreams on the line for your country,” he said, and then asked for a moment of silence, “for the men and women who have passed away in war, combat or in active service, and to remember those who are serving now.”

Legion Adjutant Jim Kilbride speaks at the gathering to honor WWII veterans. (photo by Eric Austin)

After the ceremony, Adjutant Jim Kilbride and Commander Tom Richards spoke about the current state of the American Legion. “We don’t have that many members,” Richards admitted sadly. Younger veterans aren’t joining the Legion as they have in the past, and he is worried the Legion won’t be around for the next generation.

Kilbride thinks the Legion is a victim of its own success. Because of the important work of the American Legion, the VFW and other organizations, veterans’ benefits, as well as the public perception of returning soldiers, has improved tremendously – a marked contrast to the days after the Vietnam War. But, he warns, those gains were only accomplished through strength of numbers. “What we try to get younger veterans to understand is, without their membership, we have a very hard time working with Congress and the Senate on veterans’ issues,” Kilbride said.

Waterville American Legion Post 5 chaplain, Pearley Lachance, who was recently named 2019 Legionnaire of the Year, is also doing his part to keep the memories of local veterans alive. For years he has collected the names of area veterans, particularly from the first two world wars. “What happened with this project,” he said, “it just got out of hand. I now have over 8,000 names of people from central Maine.” Lachance began compiling the list by poring through more than a thousand newspaper articles saved in an old scrapbook by a local teacher from the 1940s, which is now archived at the Waterville American Legion. Then, two or three years ago, he realized, “Those [names] are just words on a page.” He then began tracking down photos to go with every name. He’s gathered 400 pictures so far, 15 of which are from Vassalboro.

If you have a grandfather or grandmother who served in either world war, and a photo you’d be willing to share (he’ll scan it and get it back to you), you are encouraged to contact him at 873-0358 or through the American Legion Post 5, in Waterville.

Each veteran honored at the ceremony was presented with two certificates, one from the State of Maine, thanking them for their service during World War II, and the other from the American Legion, thanking them for their years of service with the American Legion.

The American Legion Post 129 meets every other month at St. Bridget’s Community Center, in Vassalboro.

Legal Notices for Thursday, April 18, 2019

STATE OF MAINE
PROBATE COURT
COURT ST.,
SKOWHEGAN, ME
SOMERSET, ss
NOTICE TO CREDITORS
18-A MRSA sec. 3-801

The following Personal Representatives have been appointed in the estates noted. The first publication date of this notice April 11, 2019.

If you are a creditor of an estate listed below, you must present your claim within four months of the first publication date of this Notice to Creditors by filing a written statement of your claim on a proper form with the Register of Probate of this Court or by delivering or mailing to the Personal Representative listed below at the address published by his name, a written statement of the claim indicating the basis therefore, the name and address of the claimant and the amount claimed or in such other manner as the law may provide. See 18-A MRSA 3-804.

2019-064 – Estate of RONALD M. HARRIS, late of Madison, Me deceased. Nash A. Dsylva, 4736 East Salle Drive, Batavia, NY 14020 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-066 – Estate of STEVEN J. GENTILI, late of Mercer, Me deceased. Angela Gentili, 2500 Level Hill Road, Palermo, Me 04354 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-070 – Estate of JAMES W. YORK, JR., late of Pittsfield, Me deceased. Matthew J. York, 11 Sequoia Lane, Scarborough, Me 04074 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-071 – Estate of TIMOTHY W. PROVENCHER, late of Cornville, Me deceased. Nikki L. Provencher, 1350 Molunkus Road, Cornville, Me 04976 and Joshua P. Provencher, 1350 Molunkus Road, Cornville, Me 04976 appointed Co-Personal Representatives.

2019-073 – Estate of DALE G. POULIN, late of Skowhegan, Me deceased. Sheila Poulin, 28 Dawes Street, Skowhegan, Me 04976 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-074 – Estate of BETH E. CHAPPO, late of Cornville, Me deceased. Gwendolyn L. Pomerleau, 227 Moores Mill Road, Skowhegan, Me 04976 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-079 – Estate of JOHN W. HLADINEC, late of Athens, Me deceased. Maureen C. Hladinec, 1048 Mayfair Drive, Rahway, NJ 07065 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-082 – Estate of CAROLYN L. WAUGH, late of Solon, Me deceased. Frances W. Flick, PO Box 3, Athens, ME 04912 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-085 – Estate of HARRY W. DIXON, JR., late of Skowhegan, Me deceased. Carol Corson, 17 Chandler Street, Skowhegan, Me 04976 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-086 – Estate of GARY A. MALBON, late of Madison, Me deceased. Troy A. Malbon, 69 Anthony Avenue, Topsham, Me 04086 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-091 – Estate of BARBARA GRIFFETH, late of Skowhegan, Me deceased. Alan J. Griffeth, 40 St. James Street, Skowhegan, Me 04976 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-093 – Estate of THOMAS J. SEAMON, late of Starks, Me deceased. Angel M. Vinton, 181 Marston Road, Gardiner, Me 04345 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-094 – Estate of ALVERNA E. MURRAY, late of Cornville, Me deceased. Angela Wentworth, 649 Mutton Lane, Clinton, Me 04927 and Richard Bunt, 1726 East Ridge Road, Cornville, Me 04976 appointed Co-Personal Representatives.

2019-072 – Estate of MICHAEL C. HANDY, late of Harmony, Me deceased. Adrianna Handy, 410 Ripley Road, St. Albans, Me 04971 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-095 – Estate of ROBERT A. CARIGNAN, late of Hartland, Me deceased. Mary Fortier, 51 Halifax Street, Winslow, Me 04901 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-096 – Estate of ALEXANDRINE M. WHITTEMORE, late of Skowhegan, Me deceased. James G. Whittemore, PO Box 534, Skowhegan, Me 04976 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-098 – Estate of EUGENE V. HUTCHINS, late of New Portland, Me deceased. Margaret Warman, 21 Turkey Lane, Orrington, Me 04474 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-102 – Estate of JANASE M. RICH, late of Hartland, Me deceased. Bobbi-Jo Rich, 445 n Dixmont Road, Troy, Me 04987 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-106 – Estate of DOREAL B. BAKER, late of New Portland, Me deceased. Danielle A. Rawson, PO Box 134, New Portland, Me 04961 appointed Personal Representative.

2019-107 – Estate of MARY HELEN THORNE, late of St. Albans, Me deceased. James T. Thorne, 44 Corinna Road, St. Albans, Me 04971 appointed Personal Representative.

To be published on April 11, 2019 & April 18, 2019
Dated: April 8, 2019 /s/ Victoria Hatch,
Register of Probate
(4/18)

STATE OF MAINE
PROBATE COURT
41 COURT ST.
SOMERSET, ss
SKOWHEGAN, ME
PROBATE NOTICES

TO ALL PERSONS INTERESTED IN ANY OF THE ESTATES LISTED BELOW

Notice is hereby given by the respective petitioners that they have filed petitions for appointment of personal representatives in the following estates. These matters will be heard at 10 a.m. or as soon thereafter as they may be April 24, 2019. The requested appointments may be made on or after the hearing date if no sufficient objection be heard. This notice complies with the requirements of 18-A MRSA §3-403 and Probate Rule 4.

2019-077 – Estate of JAKOB BENJAMIN GRASS. Petition for Change of Name (Minor) filed by Patrice Harris, 157 Middle Road, Fairfield, Me 04937 requesting minor’s name be changed to Jakob Benjamin Harris for reasons set forth therein.

2019-080 – Estate of CHRISTOPHER THOMAS BREINGAN, Petition for Change of Name (Adult) filed by Christopher Thomas Breingan, 54 Hathaway Street, Skowhegan, Me 04976 requesting his name be changed to Christopher Charles Cole for reasons set forth therein.

2019-090 – Estate of ELIZABETH MEGYESE KING, Petition for Change of Name (Adult) filed by Elizabeth Megyese King, 390 Russell Road, Madison Me 04950 requesting her name be changed to Elizabeth Megyese for reasons set forth therein.

2019-099 – Estate of AMBER CAROLYN SHEPPARD. Petition for Change of Name (Adult) filed by Amber Carolyn Sheppard of 20 Island Avenue, Fairfield, Maine 04937 requesting that her name be changed to Amber Carolyn Willett for reason set forth therein.

2019-100 – Estate of JOSIE LIBBY. Petition for Change of Name (Adult) filed by Josie Libby, 266 Main Street, Pittsfield, Me 04967 requesting her name be changed to Josie Kathryn Libby for reasons set forth therein.

2019-101 – Estate of JAYDEN CHARLES THOMAS SZABO, minor of Pittsfield, ME 04967. Petition for Change of Name (Minor) filed by petitioner Jessica Lary, 129 Greeley Street, Pittsfield, Me 04967 requesting minor’s name be changed to Jayden Everett Hunter Lary for reasons set forth therein.

2019-103 – Estate of SCOUT GRACE CLAYTON, minor of Cornville, Me. Petition for Change of Name (Minor) filed by petitioners Bethany and Austin Clayton, PO Box 451, Skowhegan, ME 04976 requesting minor’s name be changed to Scarlett Grace Clayton for reasons set forth therein.

Dated: April 8, 2019
/s/ Victoria Hatch,
Register of Probate
(4/18)

Palliative Players Present “End Game”

Palermo Community Center (Photo by Connie Bellet)

Celebrate the Circle of Life during Earth Week as the Palliative Players present an improvisational theater piece entitled End Game at the Palermo Community Center on Friday, April 26. This will take place following the usual delicious potluck dinner at 6 p.m. Bring your favorite springtime dish to share with a circle of friends and neighbors. Everybody is welcome to come, and it’s free!

The Hospice Volunteers of Waldo County have devised a fun – and often funny – way to help people have conversations with their families about end of life options such as Advance Directives. While this subject matter is usually avoided until it’s too late, the Palliative Players gently encourage people to open up about their final wishes, which solves many a family crisis before it begins. In other words, enjoy the drama now before there’s drama at the family gathering.

The Palermo Community Center is across from the ball field on Turner Ridge Rd.

New opportunities for success loom off the coast of Maine

This new boat design, by Dave Olson, is a less expensive way to earn a living off the coast of Maine. (Photo by Geoff Nosach)

by Geoff Nosach

Amidst the lobster traps, blue and barren berried rolling hills of Harrington, Maine, forager, artist and engineer Dave Olson is re-imagining the rockweed harvesting scene. The Downeast region is known for its diverse oceanic industries, from lobster trapping to wrinkling whelks. Another emerging enterprise, rockweed harvesting, has potential to bring long term viability to the working class of Washington County and is an industry often overlooked, under-utilized and inter-tidally submerged in controversy.

Dave Olson has been harvesting a living from natural resources for decades. In Alaska, he worked as a commercial salmon fisherman and briefly captained his own boat. Back east in Maine, he is seasonally harvesting periwinkles (wrinkling whelks), tipping spruce for wreaths, sheering island sheep and hunting or foraging nature’s bounty. More recently rockweed has caught his eye as having unique potential Downeast.

Ascophylum Nodosom, commonly referred to as rockweed, is an abundant resource in the Gulf of Maine. At the top end of the market it is used for animal feed. When added to feed, it is said to improve hoof strength, make healthier egg yolks and increase dairy yields. Recent research at UC Davis has even found that methane emissions from cows diminished by 30 percent when adding seaweed to their feed. Other research has shown emissions falling closer to 60 percent.

Typically, rockweed is harvested manually with cutter rakes from small boats or by expensive mechanical harvesters. Canadian owned Acadian Seaplants Limited (ASL), the largest seaweed company in the world, operates in Maine and utilizes both of these methods. Dave’s experiences and frustrations harvesting for ASL led him to engineer improvements on their system and to develop a new kind of boat.

This new boat is built around the notion of an independent harvester. It’s five feet longer with higher gunwales (sides). A hydraulic system powers offloading machinery and two rollers which assist with reeling in the loaded rake. Mechanical harvesters have been introduced into the industry, but they have significant drawbacks, including price. “The biggest difference between my boat and a mechanical harvester is that mine is a hell of a lot cheaper,” Dave says, and estimates that his new boat would be a third of the cost of a mechanical harvester, more fuel efficient and easier to maintain. He notes that a good manual harvester can make their wage in six hours while a mechanical harvester operator might need to put in ten. Additionally, he says, “They can work in worse weather conditions and through high tide by sending the cutter pumps deep under water.”

I asked him why he decided to build this boat. “It was clear from the first day that their operation was sloppy…and it was affecting my bottom line. Too much energy was being wasted on post-harvest handling because of inefficient machinery,” he says, and describes a system where harvesters rake weed into small boats, motor to a landing and then must wait in line for a clumsy offloading process. He could only work between the tides and this delay has often kept him from going back for more. He remarks, “There was money in the rockweed, I just needed a system that would allow me to make it.”

Traditionally, ocean resources are part of the public trust doctrine which sets these assets aside for public use. The adjoining land owners don’t pay taxes below the high water mark but have certain ownership rights in order to ‘wharf out.’ The Maine Supreme Court has recently weighed in on the matter of seaweed ownership, siding with property owners who believe it belongs to them. The court declared that the upland property owner had exclusive rights and harvesters would need permission to remove rockweed. I reached out to Dave after the decision came down. He was legitimately surprised, but says, “It won’t stop the industry; it will just change how it develops.” He also says that most landowners are glad to see him harvesting and only a minority would rather it be left alone.

The people of Washington County could use this good paying work as its residents earn 23 percent less than the average Mainer. According to Dave, the biggest limitation is the lack of landing sites. “You have to have a site that a tractor trailer can access and space to land 30 tons of seaweed in bags.” If Maine companies want to compete they will need to establish more infrastructure to process and package. Of the future, he says, “I am looking to expand into volume dehydration, which opens up global markets and adds a tremendous value per ton.”

It could be that the opportunity for residents to earn living wages and establish secure businesses lies just beyond the head of tide. These opportunities are by no means confined to our rocky coast line. As Dave puts it: “I think there is a very real potential for marine algae to play a role in carbon sequestration in the effort to fight climate change.”

Announcing The Town Line’s 2019 ice out contest winner

The Town Line’s ice out judge has declared that ice officially went out of China Lake on Friday, April 12, 2019. The judge’s decision is final.

With her correct guess, Jane Glidden is the winner of this year’s contest.

Quilts for the children

Photo courtesy of Rachel Kilbride.

Ladies from Rachel Kilbride’s Sew for a Cause group, in North Vassalboro, that meets at St. Bridget’s Community Center recently presented 30 quilts to Project Linus, a nonprofit that donates blankets to disadvantaged children. Marlene Sanborn, from Project Linus, spoke to the group about the program when she picked up the quilts.