LETTERS: It shouldn’t take a pandemic to underscore need for high speed internet

by Pat Pinto
AARP Maine, Volunteer State President

It shouldn’t take a pandemic to underscore the importance of high-speed internet in our state. Rural Maine’s struggle with connectivity has been going on for years, but with COVID-19, the true consequences of slow or no internet can no longer be ignored.

During the last few months, residents throughout Maine have voiced their frustration. Paul Armstrong’s small business in Palermo is floundering because the internet service in his area is practically non-existent. Ray Smith of Windham, an occupational therapist for children with developmental and physical challenges, now counsels his young clients by video chat due to COVID-19. He describes many of the sessions as “disastrous” because some of his clients have such poor internet service. A retired teacher from Lewiston, Joyce Bucciantini, laments the learning divide between those students who have high speed internet and those who do not.
No matter where we live in Maine, and no matter our age, every Maine household should have access to high-speed internet.

The Maine Broadband Coalition, of which AARP Maine is a member, estimates that 85,000 households in our state have no access to high-speed internet. For many, this means they have little or no connection to family, friends, and critical services such as tele-medicine and counseling. For some, lack of high-speed internet creates barriers to doing business and creating jobs. Still others, particularly older Mainers, miss out on opportunities to offset loneliness, depression and isolation.

This is the time to take action, and I urge all Mainers to vote in the Maine State Primary and Special Referendum Election on July 14th, and to vote YES on Question 1. Question 1 is a ballot referendum providing $15,000,000 in funding for high-speed internet expansion to underserved and unserved areas. This will particularly impact rural areas of Maine that currently lack the infrastructure for high-speed internet. Of great significance is the fact that the $15M bond will be matched by $30 million in federal and other funds to triple the impact.

This is an opportunity not to be missed. Maine is a rural state with a far-flung population. If Maine invests now, we can help Mainers, particularly in rural areas, who don’t have access to reliable, high-speed internet service. It is essential for Mainers of all ages to be able to stay connected to friends and family, but it is equally important for them to be able to access their caregivers, doctors, and other health professionals. High-speed internet is a smart investment that will help businesses grow and help students gain access to education even when they are at home.

Access to high-speed internet is extremely important to daily life in Maine, and not just during the coronavirus pandemic. Support of this referendum will put Maine on the right track. I urge you to vote Yes on 1 on July 14.

Boat inspectors on duty

Pictured here are inspectors Hunter Praul, left, and Jack Blais at the Head O’ China Lake. The CBI Program is dedicated to inspect boats and their trailers looking to identify invasive aquatic plant species such as Hydrilla and Milfoil. (photo by Sage Hapgood-Belanger)

The China Region Lakes Alliance (CRLA) announces that its Courtesy Boat Inspection (CBI) Program is in full swing this summer at the four regional boat launches: two on China Lake, and others at Webber Pond and Three Mile Pond.

Titus receives Spirit of America award

Lauchlin Titus, center, outgoing Vassalboro selectman, was presented the Spirit of America award during the June 22 annual town meeting. Presenting the award were town selectmen Rob Browne, left, and John Melrose. (photo courtesy of Mary Sabins)

At the June 22 annual town meeting, Vassalboro Selectmen Rob Browne and John Melrose presented fellow Selectman Lauchlin Titus with the 2020 Spirit of America Award. After 12 years of service to the Town as a Selectman (and also serving many years before that as a school committee member and a budget committee member), Lauchlin chose not to run for re-election this year. The certificate presented to Lauchlin read as follows:

“This 2020 Spirit of America Foundation Award, of Vassalboro, ME, honors Lauchlin Titus. Vassalboro’s 2020 Spirit of America Award recognizes and honors Lauchlin Titus for his years of public service hallmarked by thoughtfulness, kindness and a healthy dose of humor. Vassalboro is the grateful beneficiary of his many contributions.”

Kelly Pillsbury to lead local scouting district

Priscilla and Scott Adams, of China, of Troop #479, and Kelly Pillsbury. Scott Adams presented the report of the nominating committee during the annual meeting. (contributed photos)

Kelly Pillsbury, of Benton, was elected to serve as the Kennebec Valley District chairman on June 10 during the annual meeting of the Scouting District Committee. The meeting was held virtually and at the Viles Arboretum where social distancing was in effect.

The Kennebec Valley District Committee is comprised of volunteer Scouting leaders tasked with growing and delivering quality Scouting programs in Lincoln, Knox, Kennebec, Somerset and Franklin counties. Pillsbury is the top volunteer Scouting leader of the district and her job is to motivate a talented team of people. District chairs preside at district committee meetings and represent the district on the council executive board. The district committee includes subcommittees for Scouting Activities and Program, Advancement and Recognition, Camping, Fundraising including Friends of Scouting and Popcorn sales, Health and Safety, Marketing, Membership for new Scouting units and membership growth, Nominating Committee, Training, etc.

“Kelly brings a great deal of knowledge and experience to the job,” said Ryan Poulin, of Sidney, who served on the nominating committee that made the selection. “I am anxious to see the great mountain tops she will lead Kennebec Valley District Scouts to during her term.”

Pillsbury has a BS from the University of Maine in business management and an MBA from Thomas College, in Waterville. She is employed by Maine Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency, in Augusta. Pillsbury joined Scouting in 1995 as a Tiger Cub parent in Pack #471, Fairfield, and has held several positions including Advancement Chairman, Den Leader, Pack Committee Chairman and Assistant Cubmaster. Kelly joined the Kennebec Valley District Committee in 2004, serving on several committees and as committee chairman in 2009-2010. She also served as the Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner 2011-2012.

She earned the Commissioner Key and was awarded the District Award of Merit- the highest award Scouting can bestow at the district-level to a volunteer. Kelly also had the honor of serving as an Assistant Scoutmaster for the Pine Tree Council contingent troop that attended the National Scout Jamboree in 2005. She has also served on the council’s national jamboree committee in 2010 as well as Maine Jam program staff in 2007 and 2013. Pllsbury has also completed the Greenwood Ranger training, University of Scouting and Wood Badge. She has taught several University of Scouting courses and served on Wood Badge staff as Troop guide, quartermaster, course director and mentor. Kelly, who is also a Vigil Honor member of the Brotherhood of Honor Campers, also serves as Troop Committee chairman for Troop #479 in China.

Outside of Scouting, Kelly is active with the Waterville Elks Lodge #905 where she currently serves as chairman of the Antler Youth Committee and served as Exalted Ruler in 2018-2019. She was awarded Officer of the Year 2016-17, Making a Difference Special Citation 2018-19 and Mother of the Year in 2019. She is married to Bob Pillsbury and is proud mother of two sons, Richard and Connor, a daughter-in-law, Lindsey and a grandson, Silas.

The members of the District Committee also selected Bruce Rueger, of Waterville, and Charles Matthews, of Fairfield, to serve as vice chairmen. Both are former district cheirmen. “Kelly is an outgoing, gregarious, knowledgeable Scouter,” Rueger said. “She has a wealth of experience in Scouting and the community. I have worked with her in the past and look forward to doing so in the future.” Matthews echoed those sentiments. “I have known Kelly for many years. She was a committee member in my troop. I asked Kelly to take on the District chairman when I gave up the position in 2008,” Matthews said. He had served as district chairman since 2003. “Kelly is a very dedicated Scouter and I feel that she will do a great job as district chairman.”

Pillsbury’s term begins immediately. She thanked her predecessors Butch Dawbin, of West Gardiner, and Travis Robins, of Augusta, who had served as interim chairman each for several months while the nominating committee did its work.

Grab & Go bean dinner in Vassalboro

Vassalboro United Methodist Church (photo: Google streetview)

The Vassalboro United Methodist Church, on Main St. (Rte. 32), in North Vassalboro, will hold a Grab and Go bean dinner on Saturday, June 20, from 4:30 until all the beans are gone. Come along and grab a meal!

Sawyer meets a Waterville police officer; but still wants to tour police station

Four year old Sawyer Bearce with Officer Steve Brame from the Waterville Police Department. (photo by Central Maine Photography)

by Mark Huard

Sawyer absolutely loves and admires police officers, and has for quite some time. Last winter he received a police uniform as a gift. He wears it quite frequently, almost daily. He wants to be a policeman someday.

For months he has been asking to go visit the police officers at the station and take a tour. The family knew because of COVID-19 that wouldn’t be possible. So, on Tuesday May 26, they called the Waterville Police Station to see if a police officer could come to the house and visit Sawyer.

Within minutes an officer was at the house – Officer Steve Brame. Sawyer is still anxiously waiting for the day he can actually go to the police station but the picture speak for itself as to how excited he was to finally meet a police officer. He had many questions and officer Brame was so patient and answered all of his questions. This was really a dream come true for this little four year old.

It’s graduation season for area high schools

Graduates from Lawrence High School celebrating with their parade. (photo by Tawni Lively.)

by Roland D. Hallee

Hallee Brunette, left, and Colby Quinlan, celebrate following their graduation ceremony at Waterville High School. (contributed photo)

Typically, the first two weeks of June is the graduation season in central Maine. This year was no different, except that due to the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, things were done a little differently.

In Winslow, their graduation was held on June 10.

The graduates and parents participated in a procession of cars around the high school with fire and police vehicles leading the way. Supporters and well-wishers lined Danielson Street to celebrate the occasion.

Senior class secretary Riley Loftus and class president Jake Huesers both stressed the positives in their graduation addresses.
Both pressed the importance of what has happened over their collective school careers, and not to what the pandemic has taken away from them.

School principal Chad Bell also spoke about lessons graduates could take from this extraordinary experience. Bell emphasized he told seniors they would have a special graduation ceremony for them. The key points in his speech were about “positivity and perserverance.”

Bell was also impressed with the success that was achieved in pulling off this year’s graduation ceremony.

Above left, Winslow High School parade as it winds down Frankwood Drive, in Winslow. (photo by Kelley Bernard)

Following the distribution of diplomas, with students back in their vehicles, graduates were led in the traditional transferring of their respective tassels from one side of their caps to the other, signifying they were now Winslow High School alumni.

On the following evening, June 11, the Waterville High School seniors and their parents took to the streets of Waterville for an impressive parade from the high school to Central Maine Motors Chevrolet-Buick auto dealership, on Kennedy Memorial Drive, many in convertibles or standing through the vehicles’ sunroof, for their graduation festivities. Most of the students video recorded along the parade route. The motorcade left the high school, proceeded west on Western Avenue to the intersection with First Rangeway, where they turned left and headed south toward Kennedy Memorial Drive, horns honking, and the blaring sound of the sirens from Waterville police cars, fire trucks, including the ladder truck, and rescue unit. Supporters and other family members lined the parade route.

Upon arriving at the dealership, cars were lined up in the lot. Speakers included principal Brian Laramee, and the featured speaker, retiring faculty member Scott Rivard. With the formalities completed, seniors approached the stage in groups of 10, to receive their diplomas.

Again, being led by Class of 2020 president Lauren Pinnette, the graduates, in keeping with long time traditions, transferred their respective tassels from right to left, a symbol they were now Waterville High School alumni.

The final act of the night, which lent itself to a touching finish, came when all the faculty members lined both sides of the Airport Road, waving goodbye to their graduates.

The graduation was made possible through the generosity of Central Maine Motors owner Chris Gaunce and his family, and many volunteers.

Now is the time to take good care of our veterans

by Gary Kennedy

Well, here we are in this space and time. Covid-19 is involved in all we say and do. It is true here and it is true in the rest of the world. I have spent the past few months working on projects in Southeast Asia as I usually do. I came home to Covid-19, political unrest, riots and terrorism. This doesn’t set well with me and most veterans who served to avoid living the life of third world countries. Our veterans feel this more than anyone. They fought to keep us free. This is not the definition of freedom.

As you know I work with veterans here, and when I am across the Pacific Ocean I work with veterans there. The American Embassy is massive in Manila, Philippines. A few years ago the USA invested millions of dollars to build, equip and start a very large medical center. They call themselves a clinic so as to be able to avoid some veteran interplay. They have no beds but they have everything else including a dozen or so doctors and a couple of dozen nurses as well as a lab, pharmacy and a modern X-ray department.

Its been a battle since they opened to have them comply to American mandates. Ninety-nine percent of the staff are Asian with only the manager being an American national. I have led the battle on a couple of occasions to maintain veterans’ rights according to American standards. In the pacific we have the Philippines, Guam and the Marshal Islands which service American interests. In 1898 we drove the Spanish out of this area and claimed the Philippines as a territory. Since that time in history we gave the Philippines its freedom but retained strong ties. Most of you don’t know it but we have 350,000 Americans living there in the islands. Many of these are U.S. veterans and their families. The VA there aids the veteran, but unfortunately, the family is not covered. We are trying to work on that now. Medical help is very limited.

We have made a lot of progress on veteran issues worldwide but as great as the politicians would like us to believe they are not getting the work done. My phone both here and there rings a lot. Sometimes I can help immediately but most of the time the requested issues take research development and application. When Senator Olympia Snowe was in office I spent a lot of time there with Bob Cummings working out issues. Bob was a wonderful person with whom to work out veterans issues. I have done a couple of things with Senator Susan Collins’ office but not as much as I would like. The expression “Freedom isn’t Free,” really needs to be realized by those who think that all things are rosey. Those people are ones who usually receive a fat pay check and proclaim, “Don’t mess with the status quo.”

I have lived near the South China Sea and can tell you not all conversations are pro-American. There are forces out there that would love to teach you another language and have you work for $5 a day; that is without any benefits. We are fortunate to live in one of the greatest countries in the world. We need to realize that and not let politics deviate our love of country with complacency. Thanking a vet is a great and wonderful thing but really meaning it is another. Verifying the government’s application of aid is left to your vigilance and watchful eye. We need your help.

Veterans with disabilities aren’t asking for a hand out, only a hand up. Through my eyes, opinion only, we grow ever closer to another war. Being in the South Pacific and my compulsion to watch the news makes me very nervous because of my first hand knowledge to what is going on. Now is the time to take good care of our veterans for they are the example, the bench mark for others to go by. Recruitment is not easy today with America having the highest wage out there. When I tell people in Asia that work at McDonald’s there is $6 a day, and that our people of McDonald’s make $12 to $15 per hour, and some companies even give benefits, they gasp with disbelief. The positive side for third world folks is, even in dispute, they find a way to handle it. They have that old country intellect; make due, find a way.

The U.S currently is doing the veterans a disservice by bragging that we are taking great care of our vets. Even VA has succumbed to be the work-at-home intellect. I had an argument recently with the VA system. A person that is an official at the VA stated that the VA work from home program was working out very well. That made me see fire and brought back memories of my conversations with veterans. I answered this person respectfully even though that statement made this disabled veteran very upset. The person mentioned video conferences were working out surprisingly well. I know several of these work-from-home people and, in my opinion, that program is full of abuse and is very inefficient with only a few exceptions. Just think about medical people staying at home and tending to disabled people. Most disabled veterans that I know need hands-on and serious direction with their health care, the VA needs to be open for our vets. Short of that our vets are being abused.

Currently all physical therapy is shut down. This is one essential that isn’t considered. The pain clinic is in lockdown mode. The chief of the pain clinic isn’t functioning, the chiropractic is not functioning, the acupuncturist is not working, but you can leave a message. Orthopedics is in lock down. Needles needed for knee, hand, back, ankle pain are not being given because of Covid-19. Anything they can call non-essential is not allowed. Unless it is a dire emergency no X-rays, cat scans, MRI’s or other evaluation tools are not being used. In neurology all testing equipment is broken so you have to locate a doctor outside and get permission to go. No dental is being done. Ever had a tooth ache? If your in dire pain physically or emotionally, dial 911. You can’t get through to primary care. They avoid you like the plague. Oh, there are a few exceptions, but very few. Call center has become the norm. Pharmacy makes many mistakes and some employees are curt/rude. Now they are insisting that all prescriptions are to be mailed even if they don’t fit in your box or are restricted. Your scripts might end up in Portland, as mine did and five days late. If you go through the front door you get the fifth degree along with a free face mask and alcohol rub for your hands; not the respect we are use to.

Many calls to departments with answering machines are ignored. I personally have had one neurology appointment way up in Bangor because all the machinery in neurology is broken at Togus. One doctor I know who won’t let his patients down is Dr. Barry Raskin Gastro. I had an appointment because of serious ongoing issues. He examined me and came up with a game plan. I really appreciated that. My primary care physician is a fantastic doctor, but the VA has really given him a heavy load. We do have two neurologist who will refer you out; expensive service.

I just received word the VA will be opening its doors, at least partly, soon, I will keep everyone abreast of that in the next issue of The Town Line. I have had several calls regarding those who need physical therapy. I haven’t received word from the VA yet about the gym and the pool which is where a lot of therapy is received; both monitored and independent. The gym and pool is used recreationally very little these days. This has become a necessary tool with PTSD patients and those with physical afflictions. In my opinion, for strength and well-being emotionally and physically essential.

VA, being built in 1866, has had many faces but the current one is the one that is direly needed by our veterans. It is supposed to serve and should not allow themselves to be used as a political football. Truly give America’s veterans all they deserve. Veterans are advised to make yourselves aware of what is happening in Washington D.C. and address yourself accordingly. Do not be awed by the accolades being bestowed upon you with political agendas. You know who and what you are and what you have given. You don’t need to be told because someone is waving a political banner. You have every reason to be proud and deserving of respect for what you have given for your love ones and your country.

God be with you and yours; One veteran to another. Thank you for your service. God Bless!

Palermo student salutatorian for online school graduation ceremony

Lindsey Childs, of Palermo, presenting salutatorian address with her favorite horse.

Maine Connections Academy (MCA), in Scarborough, the state’s first tuition-free, online charter school for grades 7-12, hosted its commencement ceremony online on June 8 to honor 77 students in its sixth class of graduating seniors. Lindsey Childs, of Palermo, was class Salutatorian.

Due to the restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic, the in-person ceremony took place online, with all students and their families, as well as Maine Connections Academy faculty and staff, invited to attend. Childs will be attending the University of Maine at Orono this fall. She will have a double major in political science and sociology, with a concentration in crime, law and justice.

Her remarks as Salutatorian were notable in that Childs delivered them while standing next to her favorite horse. She focused on the presence of change in our lives: “We’re all going to have to make significant changes, and some of us don’t even know what to do with our lives. But change can be a positive, we can’t avoid it. The secret is to adapt to change.”

As an online school, Maine Connections Academy students learn from wherever there is an Internet connection across all of Maine’s 16 counties. This online graduation was simply one more way of collaborating together. With families and friends, Maine Connections Academy students, “walked across the stage,” and showed each other meaningful images and words to capture their time together at the online school. Four Maine Connections Academy teachers acted as MCs throughout the online ceremony.

Maine Connections Academy is now in its sixth year. Students come from all across Maine and choose online school for many reasons, including wanting a safe environment, the ability to work faster or slower than their peers, flexibility in terms of scheduling, and more. Maine Connections Academy offers students an award-winning online curriculum and the opportunity to work closely with certified teachers using detailed daily lesson plans that can be personalized to meet individual student needs. Maine Connections Academy is currently enrolling up to 429 students for the 2020-21 school year on a first-come, first-served basis—it is recommended that families interested in virtual school submit an application as soon as possible to avoid being waitlisted.

For more information about MCA, please call (207) 805-3254, or visit www.MaineConnectionsAcademy.com.

Palermo woman elected to board of trustees at library

(Photo courtesy of Palermo Community Library)

At a recent meeting, Christine Diesch was elected to the Palermo Community Library Board of Trustees. Prior to retiring in Maine, she had a career ranging from running a crisis hotline to providing leadership coaching to world-class scientists and operations teams at one of the seventeen U.S. Department of Energy’s premier national laboratories.

Diesch brings 20 years of experience on the board of directors for a 58-unit homeowners association, including over 10 years as treasurer, and four years of experience on the board of directors for a Midwest crisis line. The trustees look forward to having her bring her technical expertise, policy development experience, handbook and instructional manual development skills, and communication and leadership skills to the Palermo Community Library Board of Trustees.

She said as a child and young adult, her fondest wish was to get permanently locked in a library so she could read forever! And, of course, Diesch loves greeting her fellow villagers when she is volunteering at the library! She hopes to see more people come in to see all that is offered. The library, besides having books, is a welcoming gathering place and a great community resource.