Vassalboro holds 250th anniversary commemoration and Civil War monument re-dedication

Featured speakers, from left, Selectboard chairman John Melrose, local historian Lauchlin Titus, and Vassalboro Historical Society President Janice Clowes. (photos by Eric W. Austin)

by Eric W. Austin

On a blustery Monday morning, April 26, around 50 people gathered in Vassalboro’s Monument Park to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the town’s founding and rededication of its Civil War memorial.

The event was organized and emceed by John Melrose, chairman of the Vassalboro selectboard.

“On behalf of the Vassalboro selectboard,” Melrose said to open the ceremony, “I join you today in commemorating the 250th anniversary of our town, as we also recognize three years of work at Monument Park to celebrate this event.”

There have been numerous improvements made to the park over the past several years, including a clean-up along the shoreline, installation of paving stones surrounding the Civil War memorial, the planting of trees, decorative bushes and other landscaping improvements, and a newly-installed granite plaque dedicating the park for the town’s 250th anniversary.

Vassalboro Boy Scout Troop #410 led the gathering by presenting the colors and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. (photo by Eric W. Austin)

Vassalboro Boy Scout troop #410 then performed a presentation of the flags and led the gathered group in a recital of the Pledge of Allegiance.

After a prayer and invocation from American Legion chaplain Pearley Lachance, the first presentation of the morning was given by Patsy Crockett, president of the Kennebec Historical Society and member of the Kennebec County Commissioners. She stated, in part, “April 26, 1771 is the date that the Massachusetts’ colonial government incorporated four area communities as municipalities: the city of Hallowell, the towns of Vassalboro, Winslow and Winthrop. They remained part of Massachusetts until Maine achieved statehood in 1820.”

Crockett continued: “Beyond sharing the same date of incorporation, the four communities have at least one other thing in common: they all originally covered a larger territory than they do today. In fact, combined, they occupied nearly half of what is now Kennebec County.”

Vassalboro was named after the Vassal family, she said, and was originally spelled “Vassalborough,” although the shorter version of the name became standard by 1818.

In 1845, the town voted to prevent the “immoral and unlicensed” sale of liquor. By 1860, the town had a population of 3,180 and in 1893 there were recorded 21 births, 32 deaths and 22 marriages.

At the end of her speech, Patsy Crockett presented the town’s selectboard with a resolution from the Kennebec County Commissioners in recognition of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the town of Vassalboro.

The next presenter was Janice Clowes, president of the Vassalboro Historical Society, who spoke about the history of the site. In part, she said, “Today we stand in Monument Park, a focal point for our community. For hundreds of years, this site and its immediate surroundings was a meeting place for those who inhabited what became Vassalboro. From our exhibits at the Vassalboro Historical Society you can come to realize how important this land at the outlet of China Lake was to the Native Americans. Later, with colonization, we know of the importance of the alewife runs at this location and downstream and how the stream powered our development in commercial enterprises.”

Lauchlin Titus, a local historian who has also served on Vassalboro’s school board, budget committee and on the selectboard, was the last presenter of the morning. He spoke about the history of the names that are listed on the Civil War memorial. Much of his talk was included in a front page article he authored that was published in The Town Line issue for April 22, 2021.

Repairs are also planned for the Civil War statue. “It was commissioned in 1905 and dedicated in 1907,” Janice Clowes explained. “[Based on] design number 407, ‘Parade Rest,’ [it] was carved by William Tregembo, of Hallowell, for the sum of $1,275, with $300 as a deposit and the remainder when the monument was completed. The base of the monument is made from Hallowell granite, while the soldier is made of Westerly granite from Rhode Island. As you may know, plans are underway to have the nose and two places on the cape repaired. The additional repair to the rifle is estimated to be more than $20,000, therefore only the other repairs will be completed.”

A video stream of the event, uploaded by David Trask, is available on Youtube at the following link: https://youtu.be/7MpFPMCFcBg.

Local children’s book author releases new book

Jeanine Deas

In her new children’s book, Twinkle, Twinkle, Where You Are, Waterville-based children’s book author Jeanine Deas offers a comforting, reassuring message for children everywhere — one especially powerful as we all journey through the pandemic.

“The book is about love and longing,” Jeanine says. “During COVID — and after that — it offers a magical way for children (and adults) to endure times of isolation and separation from family and friends. It encourages us to remain hopeful that we’ll soon be reunited.”

The book began in a most surprising way, as, one morning, Jeanine “spoke” with her deceased mother. “I still feel the energy of our relationship,” Jeanine says. “I begin each day talking to her. One morning, while gazing at her picture, I whispered, ‘Mom, where are you?’ I paused, then said out loud, “I love you so, wherever you are.’ These words were the inspiration for Twinkle, Twinkle, Where You Are.”

Presented in delightful, touching rhymes and illustrated by Meaghan M. Bailey, Twinkle, Twinkle, Where You Are is ultimately a hope-filled picture book with a message that can enrich children throughout their lives.

“My desire,” says Jeanine Deas, “is that readers will come to understand that when distance, time, or even death separate us physically from those we love, we are always connected through the ever-present energy of our relationship. It’s the ‘TWINKLE’ that gives us hope.”

Twinkle, Twinkle, Where You Are is available at Children’s Book Cellar, in Waterville.

Can I come home this year?

by Ralph Ashburn

It’s been a long, lonely, cold winter so I am really looking forward to coming home for the summer. But I’m not sure if traveling to Maine will be as bad as last year. As an old guy I spend time at my different kids’ homes, but love to spend summers at the camp. Last year I never knew what the law of the day was concerning Covid. Sometimes the state required a 14-day quarantine. Sometimes I had to be tested within a few hours of crossing the big bridge. There were even times that if I traveled into Maine, I could not get out because neighboring states had more entry rules.

Despite all last year’s rules, I was fortunate to spend time at the camp, but with not many people around I had all the black flies to myself. The rules said that I needed to pack in enough food for 14 days of quarantine and not go to a restaurant unless it was a drive-through. I remember one day an old friend of mine over on the coast called me to say she knew of a restaurant with inside seating and did I want to join her for lunch.

My conversations with myself had started to get dull and repetitive, so an offer of a lunch date with an old friend was the best news I’d heard in a long while. This would spring me from lockdown isolation. I was thrilled; a real live person, face to face. My friend told me that there would be conditions, which I ignored as they were listed.

Jo Ann is an old public health nurse who began by saying that she has paid attention to every Covid-19 press conference by the governor and CDC director. First, we would remain six feet apart with masks on at all times. There would be no hugging, no touching and absolutely no kissing. “Fine, fine, fine,” I agreed, as long as talking was still on the table.

Jo wanted to meet at a popular diner on the coast. It was not my favorite, but I’ll agree to anything to talk to a live person. We arrived at the same time and Jo yelled from her car, “Leave an empty space between the cars.” I got out of my car to the command, “Don’t come any closer; and follow six feet behind me and keep your mask on until we get our food.”

This is a small diner with booths the size of card tables. It was neat when we were kids because you could play kneezies with your date, but not now with a nervous public health nurse. Jo said that we would sit diagonally and not face each other when we talked. Fine, but two old people wearing masks have to keep saying, “What did you say? I can’t read your lips.”

The food came and Jo suggested that we remove our masks but face away from each other. I didn’t care as I was talking with a real live person and enjoying every word. In fact, I was so carried away that with such a small table, I began drinking Jo’s drink from her straw. When I realized what I was doing, I had to tell her. “Jo, excuse me, but I drank from your glass by mistake.” With bulging eyes, she stood up and shouted, “I’m dead. All you people from Massachusetts are infected with Covid. God help me.”

I didn’t know if I should apologize to her or tell the rest of the diner that I’d been successfully tested and quarantined, or maybe just run out to my car and leave. Then Jo said, “Wait a minute, I didn’t drink from my glass after you so I will not die and don’t worry you will not catch anything from me.” What a relief. But the rest of the diner customers now assumed that I was the infected enemy from Massachusetts. Jo noticed the hostility beginning in the other diners so she stood and announced, “Don’t worry folks, false alarm. I am a professional nurse and he is not infected.” Calmness did not return to this angry crowd so I told Jo that we had to leave and we quickly exited to our cars.

Jo yelled from her car, “That was fun. Call me the next time you visit. We’ll have lunch.” Sure, I thought as I sped back to camp, removed my number plates and hid the car behind the wood pile. I self-quarantined out of fear. Hopefully, this year will be different. I have shots, a Covid passport, enough masks to cover my head and so many tests that my nose feels like a roto-router demonstration site. The only thing I will not do is call Jo Ann to ask her out for lunch as I cannot trust myself to not drinking her drink or trying to escape from those angry people at the diner. I’m safer staying at the camp and putting up with the black flies.

Annual St. Michael School and Travis Mills walk-a-thon returns

Travis Mills, center, and students of St. Michael School, in Augusta, make preparations for the annual walk-a-thon. (contributed photo)

A labor of love and service at St. Michael School, in Augusta, will return next week after shifting to become a virtual event last year due to the pandemic.

The annual St. Michael School and Travis Mills Walk-A-Thon will be held inside and outside the school on Wednesday, May 5. In 2020, an exercise challenge was held in its place, with students and staff participating from home.

This year, the school community, which has enjoyed in-person learning all year, will participate in the walk-a-thon in person as well, raising money for the Travis Mills Foundation through pre-obtained pledges.

“On May 5, students will participate in a day of walking, running, completing an obstacle course, and enjoying other fun activities,” said Kevin Cullen, principal of St. Michael School. “In addition to the running, walking and activities, students will be collecting items to donate to military service members stationed away from their families, writing thank you notes to our service members, and creating flags to hang up for the day of the event.”

“This fundraiser is so important, not only to support our community and our foundation, but it teaches our kids about the military service men and women who are supporting our country every single day,” said Jaime Schorr, a co-chair of the walk-a-thon.

“I can’t wait to be there to celebrate with you guys,” Mills said in a video to students and staff. “It’s going to be a great year for us. We’re just so excited that you are able to still put this on. I can’t thank you enough.”

Mills, a retired United States Army staff sergeant of the 82nd Airborne, is one of only five quadruple amputees from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was wounded by an improvised explosive device during his third tour in Afghanistan in 2012. During his recovery, Mills discovered a passion for inspiring fellow wounded servicemen and women. He founded the Travis Mills Foundation, a nonprofit organization, formed to benefit and assist wounded and injured veterans and their families. He has traveled around the country as a motivational speaker, inspiring thousands to overcome life’s challenges and defy odds. In 2015, his book, Tough as They Come, was published.

To learn how you can help the cause or for more information about the event, call the school office at (207) 623-3491.

China School Forest work day set for May 8

A couple of the work projects needed at the forest. (photo courtesy of Anita Smith)

A work day has been scheduled at the China School Forest on Saturday, May 8, from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., and will be rain or shine. They will meet at the China Primary School bus circle. People can come for as long as they want. There are many different tasks for all skill levels, from sweeping outdoor classroom spaces, repairing wooden structures, cutting fallen trees to clear trails, hauling branches and more.

(photo courtesy of Anita Smith)

If people have sturdy rakes, shovels, chainsaws, handsaws and power drills with batteries, please bring them. The tasks are spread out around the forest, so social distancing needs can be met.

The trails are getting a lot of use and it would be great to have the community work together to keep them in good shape.

Anita Smith can be messaged at chinaschoolsforest@gmail.com if people have questions or to have their name added to the volunteer list.

“Sadly, we’ve had some more issues with (minor) vandalism and some graffiti, so trail cameras have been added to help monitor the area,” said Smith. If visitors see damage, they can contact the town office but since volunteers care for the space, it may take time to find someone to help make repairs.

Tasks include:

• Repair broken boards on bridge and compass table (bring power drill and hand saw). Repair arbor at the Gathering Place (bring power drill).
  • Cut fallen trees to clear North Loop trail (volunteers need to bring chainsaws). Clean branches and leaves off trails (bring sturdy rakes).
  • Sweep outdoor classroom areas of pine needles and small branches (we have brooms).
  • Remove old boards with nails and take to transfer station (need steel-plate boots, truck and heavy gloves).
  • Dig small plunge pool to divert water from flooding the trail (bring shovels).
  • Cut felled trees into firewood for community (bring chainsaw). Restack cord of wood at Wood Measurement area.
  • Build a simple lean-to at the Geology station (let us know asap, so we can discuss the plan and order materials). Move cut log stools to outdoor classroom areas (needs an ATV and wagon).
  • Smooth ruts in trails (bring shovels andsturdy rakes).
  • Build simple bog bridge over wet area on trail. (bring hammers).
  • Chip branches into wood chips (bring wood chippers).
  • Polyseal wood animal cut-outs (we have materials for this).

Give Us Your Best Shot! for Thursday, April 29, 2021

To submit a photo for this section, please visit our contact page or email us at townline@townline.org!

IN THE OPEN: Emily Poulin, of South China, photographed this toad last fall.

END OF SUMMER: Jayne Winters, of South China, caught this Hermit Thrush while singing last fall.

ALL MINE!: Pat Clark, of Palermo, snapped this Baltimore Oriole at a feeder last August.

Albion’s parade reminds us what’s important

Colbyn’s lemonade stand. (contributed photo)

by Jeanne Marquis

When Jessica Norton felt ill late last month, her son Colbyn Cole’s inner superhero sprung into action bringing her whatever he thought would make her feel better.

Colbyn’s heroic nature revved into high gear when he knew he had to call his grandma to tell her that his mom was really sick. True super heroes know when they need to call in for back ups. “Nana” Julie Norton flew in from Florida to watch the house and the rest of the family, when her daughter spent a few days in the hospital. Julie Norton explained, “I’ve never seen my daughter this sick before.”

When Jessica’s Facebook friends asked her if she needed anything once she returned home, Jessica replied back that she just needed help to make Colbyn’s 9th birthday really special this year because he didn’t have a party last year because of the Covid precautions. “Nana” Julie saw this posting and got the idea of throwing a drive-by parade in honor of Colbyn’s birthday because a party was still out of the question this year. The big question was how could this be pulled together with less than two weeks notice? Perhaps there’s a superhero within every grandmother, too? Julie began posting an event on Facebook for April 3, called Colbyn’s Beep-Beep Birthday, asking for participants to drive vehicles in the parade.

Another important part of this story is Colbyn had established a lemonade stand called Colby Cole’s Cold Lemonade, where the family had met people in town. This is where Julie met Carl Chapman, safety officer for the Albion Fire Department and an avid biker. Carl agreed to post the event on the several biker sites he follows, including Motorcycle Riders of Maine, but he wasn’t sure what response they would get, “most of the guys hadn’t gotten their bikes out of storage yet.”

Colbyn with biker Carl and “Nana” Julie.
(contributed photo)

The word of the parade touched a soft spot in people’s hearts and the posting went from area biker Facebook pages to Jeep club page to the Penobscot Valley 4-wheel drive club all the way from Hampden. Stephen Marois, from Riding Steel, shared the event on his biker page as well. The Albion Fire Chief of the Red Knights Chapter 13 and the Kennebec Sheriff Department enthusiastically agreed to participate.

Until the day of the event, Julie didn’t know how far and wide her request went out. She, Carl and another biker arrived at Dixon’s Country Market, the meeting place for the parade, a half hour before the event. No one was there.

A Kennebec Sheriff Department vehicle pulled into the parking lot, so Julie went up to ask if they were there for the parade. To her surprise, they said “yes” and were discussing the route. Then, the vehicles started rolling in, some even decorated for a birthday parade. There were motorcycles, fresh out of winter storage. There were eight to ten complete strangers in Jeeps, Colbyn’s favorite vehicle. There were Bob and Polly Matthews with Kevin Napilitano from the Penobscot Valley 4-wheel drive club. The Albion Fire Department made a dramatic appearance as they joined the parade with an engine, rescue and brush trucks. At the end of the parade, the Kennebec officers presented Colbyn with a Challenge Coin and made him an honorary deputy.

Julie Norton and the rest of her family were overwhelmed by the community support to create a birthday celebration for a nine-year-old that he will never likely forget. Julie remarked, “I’m telling you, I didn’t know what to say. It was absolutely amazing how a community pulled together on a drop of a hat.”

This unofficial, impromptu event in Albion, Maine, reminds us that good deeds are contagious and stir the inner hero within ourselves. If you are looking for more inspiration, drop by Colbyn Cole’s Cold Lemonade stand on good weather days after his school work is complete, at 192 Benton Road, Albion.

Erskine cereal box challenge nets 3,544 boxes for local food pantries

The Erskine gym with 3,544 cereal boxes set up like dominos. (photo by Blais Photography)

Responding to a challenge issued by the Jobs for Maine Graduates (JMG) students of Cony High School, in Augusta, to their peers at Erskine Academy, in South China, the school exceeded the 1,000 box challenge, raising 3,544 boxes of cereal for its local food pantries.

Given only two weeks (one while the school was operating fully remote), Erskine’s goal of 1,334 boxes of cereal (one more than Cony High’s recorded total) was more than doubled. On Monday, April 5, cereal boxes were lined up to create a domino-effect spiral beginning at the headmaster’s desk, running through the school and to the gym. The live-streamed release event took over nine minutes from start to finish.

Immediately following the domino event, students and staff delivered the cereal to food pantries in China, Vassalboro, Chelsea, Whitefield, Jefferson, Windsor, and Palermo, the sending communities to Erskine Academy. The school then challenged two JMG program schools, Skowhegan Area HighSchool and Mt. View High School, in Thorndike, to keep the charitable momentum going with their cereal drives.

Though led by Erskine’s students and faculty, the campaign became a broader community event supported substantially by families, area middle schools, alumni, and many area businesses and organizations.

(photo by Blais Photography)

About this accomplishment, Headmaster Michael McQuarrie says, “The Cereal Box Challenge was for a great cause and was presented to us at a time when we need each other, especially when it comes to being nourished — body, heart, and spirit. We thank Cony High’s JMG students for inspiring the Erskine community with a little friendly competition, and through it, Erskine’s values of stewardship, leadership, and relationships were evident. The work ethic, inspiration, and idealism of our young people are humbling and heartening.”

Known for its philanthropic spirit, in 2016, Erskine was a WGME13/Fox23’s School Spirit Champion for having raised nearly 85,000 pounds of food for distribution by Good Shepherd Food Bank of Maine. In 2018, Erskine repeated its efforts to win the School Spirit Tournament of Champions, raising a record 196,696 pounds of food. “We engaged with our rural Central Maine communities to provide a critical community service — fighting hunger in Maine,” said McQuarrie.

Erskine Academy is profoundly grateful to its friends for supporting this effort, including: BAC-40 Maple Products, B&B Septic Service, Chadwick’s Craft Spirits, Central Church, Oxley Express 3/31, PyroCity Maine, Roddy’s Redemption, Whitfield Lyons Club, JMG Corp, South China Hannaford, Tobey’s Market, and these area middle schools — Whitefield, Vassalboro, Palermo, Jefferson, and China.

Corpus Christi Parish announces changes to its Mass schedule

Photo: corpuschristimaine.org/notre-dame

Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Parish, which includes Notre Dame church, in Waterville, and St. John the Baptist church, in Winslow, has announced a change in its Mass schedule.

Beginning Saturday, May 1, 2021, there will be four weekend Masses. On Saturday, there will be only one Mass, at 4 p.m., at Notre Dame church. On Sunday, May 2, Masses will be held at 7:30 a.m. at St. John, 9 a.m. at Notre Dame, and 10:30 a.m. at St. John.

Weekday Masses will occur at Notre Dame on Monday and Wednesday, at 12:15 p.m., and at St. John on Tuesday and Thursday, at 8 a.m. There will be no Mass on Friday.

This is not a short term change, but a permanent one as, going forward, Corpus Christi Parish will be served by one priest, Rev. Daniel Baillargeon.

How to take the bite out of dog-related injuries

Maine’s ranking worsens in number of incidents

With an estimated 90 million dogs living in U.S. households, accidents are bound to happen. Most dogs will never bite, but it is important to remember that any dog CAN bite regardless of breed or type. In 2020, State Farm paid $157 million as a result of 3,186 dog bite and injury claims. Over the past decade, State Farm paid more than $1.1 billion for dog-related injury claims.

Maine was ranked #39 in 2020 in number of State Farm dog bite claims, with an average pay out of $24,000 per claim. This is a decline from the state’s #45 ranking for 2019. The top three states for 2020 dog bite claims are California, Illinois and Ohio, respectively.

The highest month for number of claims and amount paid for those claims was at the start of the COVID-19 lockdown. In March 2020, State Farm paid over $19 million for 320 injury claims. Dogs were picking up on their owners’ stress and increased activity in the home, such as children being home from school and adults working from home, resulting in negative behavior because of anxiety.

“Children make up more than 50% of all dog bite victims and the highest risk group in children are ages 5-9 years old,” says Augusta State Farm Agent Dennis Keller. “The elderly and home service people, like mail carriers, are also high on the list of frequent dog bite victims. Being bitten or attacked by a dog can leave physical and emotional scars. For the dog, it can be a death sentence.”

State Farm claim numbers include dog bites, as well as dog-related injuries. This can involve injuries resulting from a dog jumping on a person, and knocking a person down or off a bicycle. A person can also be injured because they were afraid of the possibility of a dog attacking, such as falling down stairs while backing away from a dog.

State Farm is one of the few insurance companies in the country that does not refuse insurance based on the breed of dog someone owns. “We recognize that, under the right circumstances, any dog might bite,” says Dennis. “That is why we encourage people to be responsible pet owners and educate the public, especially children, on how to safely approach a dog.”

Dennis offers these tips to help prevent dog bites:

NEVER leave a baby or small child alone with a dog, even if it is a family pet. Children are often bitten by dogs in their own household.

Make sure your pet is socialized so he feels at ease around people and other animals.

Walk and exercise your dog on a leash to keep him healthy and provide mental stimulation.

Regular veterinary visits are essential to regulating the health of your dog. A sick or injured dog is more likely to bite.

Be alert. If someone approaches you and your dog, caution them to wait before petting the dog. Give your pet time to be comfortable with the stranger.