Looking for a meaningful way to celebrate Earth Day locally? Join the China Democratic Committee on Sunday, April 22, at 1 p.m., in the public parking lot next to the Causeway on the north end of China Lake. Bring work gloves and wear sturdy shoes. They’ll tidy up the shore and boat launch area just in time to greet the beginning of the lake season and commemorate Earth Day 2018.
Earth Day was the brainchild of Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson, who felt it was time for a national day of awareness for the importance of environmental protection. The first Earth Day took place on April 22, 1970. More than 20 Americans took part in the events scheduled from coast-to-coast to demonstrate their support for a healthier, sustainable environment. Earth Day 1970 received rare political collaboration from groups who weren’t always in alignment: Republicans and Democrats, urbanites and farmers, business leaders and labor leaders. At the time, these groups suddenly realized we do share some common values because we share the same planet. Earth Day is now observed in 184 countries by hundreds of millions of people.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- Four Seasons Club receives unexpected gift
- China scouts officiate at morning worship
- Becky Hapgood honored for 25 years service to China
- The goat farmer who grabs life by the horns
- 2019 Real estate tax schedule
- Davis, Nicholson named chairman, vice chairman of Northern Light Inland Hospital board of directors
- Erskine tops school spirit challenge, again
- Attendance matters at China Middle School
- China Masons host celebration
- Erskine presents Renaissance awards 2018