(NAPSI)—If you or someone you care about is among the 48 million Americans who experience hearing loss, here’s some news for you.
Access to communication is especially vital during national emergencies such as the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left many Americans isolated due to physical distancing. Fortunately, services such as Internet Protocol Captioned Telephone Service (IP CTS) empower people to connect.
How It Works
IP CTS, also known as captioned telephone service, allows people with hearing loss to use their residual hearing and speak during a phone call and read captions on a telephone or mobile app when the other person responds. Speech recognition technology, along with skilled transcribers, are used to provide this live service.
The Clear2Connect Coalition is a group of disability and veterans service organizations working together to preserve the quality of and access to captioned telephone service through advocacy and education, as well as meeting with Congress and the Federal Communications Commission. The coalition is committed to protecting the right, as described in the Americans with Disabilities Act, for Americans with hearing loss to communicate using a phone.
For further information, visit Clear2Connect.org.
Responsible journalism is hard work!
It is also expensive!
If you enjoy reading The Town Line and the good news we bring you each week, would you consider a donation to help us continue the work we’re doing?
The Town Line is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit private foundation, and all donations are tax deductible under the Internal Revenue Service code.
To help, please visit our online donation page or mail a check payable to The Town Line, PO Box 89, South China, ME 04358. Your contribution is appreciated!
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Why Some ‘Super Ager’ Folks Keep Minds Dementia-Free
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: A Tool To Save Lives
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Tiny Teeth Are A BIG Deal
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Keep Your Air Clean
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Poems That Can Help With Healing In Hard Times
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: COVID-19 and “Sandwich Generation” Caregivers
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: What Blood Cancer Patients Need To Know
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Consuming healthy foods and beverages
- FOR YOUR HEALTH — Mask Matters: Why Selecting The Right Mask Provides Pandemic Protection
- FOR YOUR HEALTH: Why Long-Term Care Should Be A Retiree’s Top Concern